Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes deleted my backup.

My daughter's iPhone 5s didn't have enough room for the latest update so I backed it up locally in iTunes then deleted the folders containing all her photos. Apparently, iTunes then did another backup of the phone during the update process. Of course, there are now no photos. When I navigate to the backup folder (Windows), it does seem all the pics are there with scrambled titles and no extensions. Ideas anyone? Have daughter REALLY unhappy with dad at the moment. Please help.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:53 PM

When you do an update iTunes archives the backup before the update. If you then sync after the update it creates a new backup. But you should be able to restore the pre-update backup by connecting the phone, clicking on its name in iTunes, and click Restore Backup. When the backup name appears click on it and you should get a list of other available backups; choose the one before the Restore. The only way a backup would be overwritten is if you synced the phone after doing the Restore. Also, if she had set up automatic backup to iCloud you can still restore from there.

Your daughter should be really unhappy with HERSELF for not copying her photos periodically to her computer like you would with any digital camera. See: iOS: Import personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer. This is really basic with any device. Apple gives you multiple ways to back up content; if she didn't use any of them perhaps she has learned something. See, for example: Choosing an iOS backup method (Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iOS device?)

In addition, if she had enabled Photo Stream her photos would have been copied to iCloud and her computer in near real time, right after they were taken.

As a last resort, there are many apps available for your computer that can extract content from an iTunes backup. Google "itunes backup extractor".

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Ekdan

When you do an update iTunes archives the backup before the update. If you then sync after the update it creates a new backup. But you should be able to restore the pre-update backup by connecting the phone, clicking on its name in iTunes, and click Restore Backup. When the backup name appears click on it and you should get a list of other available backups; choose the one before the Restore. The only way a backup would be overwritten is if you synced the phone after doing the Restore. Also, if she had set up automatic backup to iCloud you can still restore from there.

Your daughter should be really unhappy with HERSELF for not copying her photos periodically to her computer like you would with any digital camera. See: iOS: Import personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer. This is really basic with any device. Apple gives you multiple ways to back up content; if she didn't use any of them perhaps she has learned something. See, for example: Choosing an iOS backup method (Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iOS device?)

In addition, if she had enabled Photo Stream her photos would have been copied to iCloud and her computer in near real time, right after they were taken.

As a last resort, there are many apps available for your computer that can extract content from an iTunes backup. Google "itunes backup extractor".

iTunes deleted my backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.