Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook battery percentage is incorrect?

I have a macbook pro with a weird thing going on every once in a while but it hasn't been affecting how my macbook runs. Sometimes when I unplug my macbook at 100%... It stays 100%. It doesn't drop and it also stays on "calculating time remaining". When this happens I usually restart my macbook and it will give me the actual lower percentage that sounds about right. It also does the same for when I charge my macbook, like when it gets to 20%, I'll plug my charger in and it will stay at 20%. When I notice its still on 20%, I restart my computer and then it will jump to 80%.

Is this something to be worried about? Is there something in the energy savers preferences that could be changed to help this? I just found it strange and it doesn't happen all the time.

Other details of my macbook pro (don't know if they're needed)

2012, 13 inch

OS X

Version 10.9.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:52 PM

15 replies

Jul 13, 2014 8:11 PM in response to Melophage

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 3901

Fully charged: No

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 5343

Health Information:

Cycle count: 934

Conditon: normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -2037

Voltage (mV): 11581

Battery Power:

System sleep timer (minutes): 15

Disk sleep timer (minutes): 10

Display sleep timer (minutes): 15

Wake on AC charge: no

Wake on clamshell open: yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

Current power source: Yes

Display sleep uses dim: Yes

Reduce brightness: Yes

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Jul 14, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Racheld94

Racheld94,

what the hardware warranty covers and what the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) covers can vary by jurisdiction — you can select your region on the Apple hardware warranty page or the AppleCare Protection Plan page respectively to find out what is and what isn’t covered by each. For example, for the APP in the USA, §4.1 (vi) states that

Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship

are not covered by the APP, unless there’s a defect in their materials/workmanship. Simply reaching 1000 charge cycles with a non-defective battery before the APP expires does not qualify a covered MacBook Pro for a gratis battery replacement.

Jul 15, 2014 6:23 AM in response to Melophage

So basically Apple Care *****. Not worth the $250. Every problem I ever had was not through misuse or accidents, but they don't cover anything other than manufacturing which most likely you'd notice in the first few months anyways (so you got that complimentary coverage for that). Should of just listened to everyone else and never went with Apple. $1500 macbook (with insurance) lasted 18 months until costing me another $130 +. Well, again... lesson learned. No more Apple.

Jul 15, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Csound1

That's true but it died fast, Apple Care hasn't helped me with anything. It was reasons like this I was willing to spend the money for Apple Care but now I'm finding out they barely cover anything after more research. My macro book isn't lasting as their company promised. I don't even do anything to run much energy. I guess Apple just isn't for me, I thought Apple was a big upgrade for me but I'll stick to what I had before Apple.

Jul 15, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Melophage

I understand insurances do not cover EVERYTHING. However, Apple Care covers little to nothing, especially for $250 and the "quality" company they come off to be. My battery is going bad just before a year and a half.

My last laptop was a basic emachines laptop that I bought from Best Buy, which had a battery that lasted about 3 years. I replaced that laptop because it just got old and outdated. Attempted this upgrade with this Macbook and I'm disappointed.

Jul 15, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Racheld94

Racheld94,

your battery’s current full charge capacity of 5343 mA·h is 92% of its original full charge capacity of 5800 mA·h. Given that it has 934 cycles, its current full charge capacity is actually in better-than-average condition. Other than the erratic percentage reporting, are you experiencing any battery problems of greater import, such as significantly reduced duration on battery power? If not, then you can probably keep on using your current battery as is. It also might be the case that that erratic percentage reporting is due to a materials/workmanship issue, so if you find it particularly bothersome, you can make an appointment at your nearest Apple store to see if that is its cause.

If you find AppleCare to not be worth its price, then that would be a reason to look before you leap when making future purchasing decisions.

Macbook battery percentage is incorrect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.