Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate drive not mounting or showing up in disk utility

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 Gbytes that I took out of its external casing because it was not mounting.

i assumed the sata to usb converter in the case was bad.

I took it out and put it in one of the drive bays on my MacPro 3,1 2008 and started my computer up.

my computer was beeping about once a second while it was in apple's version of a bios boot.

when i start it up the disk does not show up in finder so i go to the disk utility and the disk does not show up their either.

so i open my computer and touch the outside of the drive and its spinning just fine, it doesn't feel shaky or sound bad.

Any ideas to get my drive working?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:14 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 7:43 PM in response to ciardogs

I've pulled three Seagate Barracuda HD's from their external cases (GoFlex) for use either in drive bays or better external enclosures and all worked. However, there's a hidden Master Boot Record (MBR) in the first partition even when the GoFlex has been formatted for use attached to a Mac and the entire drive has to be reformatted with a GUID partition table for it to be usable.

In Disk Utility, is there even a Media line for the Seagate? If so, that's what needs to be partitioned. If not, do you have the Debug Menu enabled in DU? If not, enable it and see if that helps.

I had pulled the Barracudas out of their enclosures because there was no ventilation and they were overheating (Tech Support denied that but the SMART record showed they were). It's possible that yours was cooking for so long that it is now indeed fried, which would explain why it didn't work in its original enclosure any more either.

Jul 13, 2014 9:32 PM in response to ciardogs

It was plugged into my server spinning but not mounting and being used.

I tried to mount it but my server could not mount it so i unplugged it.

I tried to mount in on my computer and that would not work.

then i tried taking it out of its case assuming the the sata to usb connector was bad and put it in one of my drive bays.

and then what this question is about happened

Jul 14, 2014 3:55 AM in response to ciardogs

.10s are rather old by now, like beyond normal lifespan, before the issues with the .11s surfaced.

And any drive and used in a server environment? with temp controlled room and such, should also have backup copy(s) in excess.

The best way usually to deal with a drive like this now would be WD Lifeguard and do a total quick and long erase and an extended test, and of course all partitions are wiped out.

Data Rescue 3 for PC and Mac is the first and cheapest, but relies on some ability to mount. And that is one of the few times when Disk Warrior if you already have it or the files are worth $ and more.

A WD Blue 1TB to recover files to and use to replace would be $59 probably at Newegg and Amazon.

Seagate drive not mounting or showing up in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.