Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook error "USB Port has drawn too much power"

Hi,

I recently found a external hard drive and accidentally forgot to switch the volt down on my power brick, and ended up with 24 volts charging up to my white macbook 2008. It immediately shut down and i could smell some smoke coming from the usb port where i plugged in my ext. HD. I pulled it out immediately and it saw no physical damage to the port. When i turned it on, i got this message

" To prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. Other devices may have also been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other USB devices will be enabled again."

I restarted my laptop again hoping it would go away but it kept popping up every time. I plugged in a mouse and it didn't turn on, so i plugged it in to the other usb port and it blinked for a moment and turned off, which i presumed it was being disabled. I did SMC my laptop but that didn't work and i could faintly distinct the smell from my usb port still. Did my USB port get burnt? How to i re-enable my USB port?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 6:26 PM

2 replies

MacBook error "USB Port has drawn too much power"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.