Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro with Dell UP2414Q Sleep Wake Issue

Hi,

I have *two* Dell UP2414Q displays connected to a new Mac Pro, both using Display Port 1.2 (MST) setting in order to get 4K @ 60Hz.

Works fine. Except Google Chrome which is really lame at redrawing all these pixels when you scroll up/down.

The issue is: when the displays go to sleep for a longer period of time (actually it's probably when the Mac Pro itself has gone to sleep) and I wake the system up, the Dells sometimes won't wake up!

And if I start fiddling with the display buttons I will get a half image (left half of the screen). Same problem on each display except sometime it's the first one that doesn't wake up, sometimes it's the second one and sometimes it's both. Unfortunately the situation where they both wake up is extremely rare 😟

Has anyone else had similar troubles?

Note: I have had similar sleep wake issues with just one UP2414Q connected.

I'm running OS X 10.9.4 (of course).

I'm also having a 3rd smaller display connected though a DVI adapter. That one wakes up 100% of the time. I previously had 3 of these and they did always wake up all 3 without issues.

-Francois.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 6:15 PM

49 replies

Jan 17, 2017 6:27 PM in response to fplanque

It looks like a lot of Dell monitors are having this problem on both Mac and PC and that Dell has known of the problem since 2014, as it is all over their site. I did find a decent work-aroud that I have been using for months (if you are using a second monitor)

1) go to the monitor/display preferences (Fn+Opt+f2)

2) click the arrangement tab

3) click and move the Dell monitor outline, and it turns on immediately.

Don't bother trying to move the other monitor outline, it has to be the unresponsive monitor.

P.s. Apple, will you please make monitors again.

Oct 28, 2017 1:02 PM in response to Todd W. Johnson1

I am having this problem too. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with discrete Graphics (AMD Radeon R9 M370X). When I use it closed, plugged into external display, U28D590D Samsung 4K 28" monitor -- if it goes to sleep for a long time, like over 2-3 hours, about 50% of the time it does not wake up and I have to force reboot. It's been going on for a year. Tried everything including reinstalling High Sierra (fresh, wiped hard drive). Reset NVRAM and SMC. Issue still happening. Seems like a software issue to me.

Took it to Genius Bar and they wanted to take it in for service, thought maybe it was a logic board issue. But based on this thread I don't think it's a hardware defect; probably a software defect.

Apple, help! My $2,500 laptop can't wake up from sleep when a monitor is plugged in!!!

Thank you

Jul 14, 2014 7:57 AM in response to a brody

The Mac Pro itself and the two 4K displays heat the room beyond comfort temperature levels in the warmer half of the year.

Having all that heating 24/7 is not an option.

Turning OFF is not an option either. I let the system run on data crunching tasks every evening and let it go to sleep when it's done. I also let it wake automatically on the next day to start collecting data.

Jul 20, 2014 8:18 AM in response to fplanque

Same problems here--same set up (2013 Mac Pro D700, OS X 10.9.4) and I've seen the same symptoms. Failure to wake, sometimes half-screen.

Powering the display off and on again occasionally helps, not always. Most mornings, I have to hot unplug/replug the DisplayPort cable to get the Dell to wake up. Which is awkward among all those cords and causes wear and tear.

I need to use Lock Screen (either the menu bar icon enabled from Keychain Settings, or the Ctrl-Shift-Eject shortcut which I believe does the same thing). Because I run Folding@Home, so the Mac can't sleep, and because the if power off the display, the Mac will never auto-lock the screen because that's tied to the screen saver and to system sleep, neither of which gets triggered. (That's an Apple bug: the locking should kick in at the screen saver time even if the screen saver itself isn't needed due to powered-off display.)

Note: You might try the Command-F2 (detect displays) shortcut. Once in a while it seems to help--but not often, and it may be coincidence and the display was going to wake by luck anyway. Also, I'm not sure that shortcut works or not if you're not logged in, so I log in (blind) sometimes before trying it.

BTW—similar issues with other Dell displays and other Macs: Re: My Dell U3011 not waking-up after sleep

Jul 26, 2014 12:43 PM in response to fplanque

Same problem for me too. Occasionally it has the half screen woken up, the other half (on the right) doesn't. Or, in some other circumstances, the entire thing doesn't wake up. It's just black, the monitor says that it doesn't have any signal input and would go into sleep mode. In any circumstance, turning the monitor off and on by pressing its power button solves the problem, it comes up and works normally. The only annoying trouble is that I have to rearrange my screen positions using the System Preferences.

I am using the latest Mac Pro with the same hardware as above people. I also have searched elsewhere for a solution, some says that it's due to a firmware problem of the monitor itself, which I would believe that it's very likely true. I have graduated from Computer Science years ago so I am a lot more tech aware. Due to the arrogance of Dell, they don't allow the user to update the firmware, but they have to let users send the monitor back to them to do it. Not a solution to me, or probably anyone else here.

So we are expecting it in another way: If Dell doesn't do it, Apple may be able to make a special driver to perform checks on this monitor to see if it really wakes up. If not, OS X can perform multiple signal resets to kick it awake. Or maybe Apple can talk to Dell regarding this and push them to have a Mac-based firmware updater, available through OS X only.

Or maybe both parties are arrogant enough to leave pro users like us within the oblivion??

Jul 26, 2014 3:22 PM in response to WLiCPSC

As mentioned above, I have the new firmware and although it seems to solve the issue for PC users, it did not solve it for my Mac Pro. I have an escalated case with support and they essentially said "It's your problem or Dell's, not ours." Of course that ignores the fact that Apple said this monitor was compatible with the Mac Pro at 4K. Apple needs to own up that this is a problem that only they and Dell can solve.

Aug 26, 2014 7:48 AM in response to gtsimon

I have this issue with the UP2414Q monitor and my new Mac Pro . . . . . and then some.

I started by losing the right half of the screen on wake up. After about two months of use, my monitor has developed a fault where both sides of the monitor are displayed but at seemingly very different calibrations. The left half is contrasty and the right half seems to be correctly matched to my working profile. This is using the display port connections. HDMI doesn't have this problem but it also won't run at 60Hz, which was an important factor in my choice of this monitor.

At this point I contacted both Apple and Dell. Although I have had quite a few different Apple support staff over a period of a week or so, they did keep good notes, were very patent and seemed to take a genuine interest into trouble shooting it. I cannot say the same for Dell. At first they did ask questions and did the right thing by sending a replacement. It worked fine on display port, then on HDMI but when I connected it back to display port the split screen problem occurred on the brand new replacement one too. After a day of fiddling with connections it went back to displaying correctly with all connections and has not reverted but it does now have the dead right halve on wakeup more frequently than before. I reconnected the original monitor but that has the split screen problem and I can't find a way of getting it to go away. It is unusable.

This incident with the replacement monitor was five days ago. In that time I have tried to contact Dell support by the original e-mail of the technician that initially helped and by phone, through the support number. The email gets the repeated response "Dear Sir/Madam, Thank you for your email. I have left for the day, hence my reply will be delay". It happens in the mooring or the afternoon. A phone call to Dell's support number always starts with a promise to be transferred to the technician dealing with my case and, without fail ends by me being left on hold indefinitely with a terrible one minute audio loop followed by a repeated promise of the next available agent. I once waited over 30 minutes, just to test it. I live in Australia but this was clearly an international call centre. Dell obviously have no intention of dealing with my case. They will have to talk soon though because I still have an extra one of their monitors.

Unless there is a firmware update for this monitor, I would strongly advise against buying one for a Mac, or any Dell product for that matter.

Sep 1, 2014 8:08 AM in response to Chriscotech

Hey I bought one of these monitors knowing there may be an issue with the different colour maps (half screen). Having fiddled and experienced it on one of the original Retina MBPs I found that going into the OSD and actually selecting 'Reset Color Settings' fixed the issue. Not sure if it's a short term or long term fix at the moment, fingers crossed.

Sep 2, 2014 4:09 AM in response to SadBoy Productions

I tried that with the original monitor and, unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, though I am pleased to hear it worked for you. The one I have now currently displays even colour. It came back when I tried HDMI and then went back to display port. I tried to recreate this on the first monitor but it didn't work. That one is back with Dell now so I may never know if it was something that could be fixed with a firmware update. It could have had an older version than the replacement I now have.

I can consistently use the switch on off routine for the monitor when it (also consistently) fails to wake up from extended sleep. That might just have to be the way it is.

Sep 2, 2014 4:35 AM in response to Chriscotech

Yeah I noticed that the power consumption meter out of the box stands at about 75% so using the screen saver probably 100% of the time is probably the best bet in terms of running costs and reducing the hassle. I've also notice idle running power usage of the MacPro to very low considering what it is as well and considering I'm going to be using it as a server for my media library on top of the editing and what not I'm thinking I may just set a black tile as the screen saver. Or if I'm feeling audacious a 4K timescape 😁

Mac Pro with Dell UP2414Q Sleep Wake Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.