Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade a Macbook 5,2 running OS X 10.6.8?

I recently upgraded my Macbook 5,2 from Lion to Mountain Lion (OS X 10.6.8). It has 2 GB memory with 3 MB L2 cache, Intel Core 2 Duo at 2 GHz processor speed. Bus speed is 1.07 GHz.

Is there any benefit to upgrading to a newer operating system? And, is it even possible? I did run the updates that were available immediately after I installed Mountain Lion. I have not seen any additional available upgrades when running Software Update since I ran the updates.

Thanks for reading this and offering your responses.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:36 PM

9 replies

Jul 14, 2014 9:42 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123 wrote:

If you feel that's important, then go ahead and post that. But is it really about Rosetta...

It is sad that you do not feel the need to advise them about the lack of Rosetta.

As someone who follows this issue, since the release of the "free" upgrade to Mavericks, a surprising number of current Snow Leopard users are somewhat shocked to discover that their previously "stable" system suddenly has many if not huge gaps in it operational abilities! Should they have known this in advance? Of course, not: why would they research an issue that only occurs once in a generation of Macs (6-8 years).

So when anyone indicates that they are upgrading to Lion or later (implying that they are currently using Snow Leopard) the prudent approach is to raise the issue of Rosetta. A better educated user is preferable to one stuck in the non-Rosetta mud of Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks!

Of course, your mileage may vary! 🙂

Jul 15, 2014 6:15 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Well, the computer in question has only 2 GB of memory, and from what I read on another thread it does not seem like I would notice much more speed if I upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion. I am wondering what would be a reason why I would want to add 2 more GB of memory to my early 2009 Macbook, and then upgrade. Any thoughts on what the benefits are?

Jul 16, 2014 9:45 AM in response to phanch

Benefit -> Better Java support. This will mean websites that otherwise don't work will work better. Downside, any client side browser plugin modifications are much easier to write a trojan horse that can be exploited via a spoofed e-mail or peer2peer software download, than server based web code that only affects the server and not the person browsing the website. Whether it be Java or Flash the persistent need to maintain updates for compatibility and security puts a lot more onus on the user to upgrade.

Benefit -> Better iCloud support. That is if you use an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch. If you don't, then you might not need it. And Mac OS X 10.9 doesn't even support Markspace's synchronization software for Blackberries.

Benefit -> Notification center for e-mails, and calendar entries. Is it more streamlined? Maybe. But having an extra tool running in the background may actually slow you down with an older machine.

Unless there are other features for which your software requires it, and you don't lose compatibility without paying for other upgrades, I would not upgrade.

Can I upgrade a Macbook 5,2 running OS X 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.