Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why did the size of my media files double?

I noticed Wenesday that my 1TB C; drive was almost 80% full. I went out and purchased a new 2TB external drive.

Apple support had me copy+paste the music, TV shows, and Movies folders to the new G: drive. When I was done, my C: drive had 781GB free. Yea! However, my new 2TB external drive was practically full.

Any idea why the space needed to store the files basically doubled? Apple Support patiently worked through this for quite awhile, but the issue was beyond installation help.

I'm going to do a clean install -- just waiting for an answer to man earlier post to make sure I don't screw it up. This question is really more academic -- I'd like to try and understand what happened. If you've any thoughts, I'd like to hear them. This was just to weird for me NOT to ask about.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:14 PM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 3:11 AM in response to Eeyore15

Reinstalling iTunes won't affect your library, nor magically fix any issues with it. Potentially cloning the library to a new drive with slightly the wrong set of instructions or options in place could cause iTunes to create duplicates of your files, either in two parallel folder structures, or with two copies of each file in the same set of folders. You will need to explore the drive a little to see exactly what has happened.

tt2

why did the size of my media files double?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.