Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my old iPhone 4s just for music

I got a new phone and wondered if I could use my old iPhone 4s as an iPod. It seems like I should be able to if I just erase everything and add music but I don't know if iTunes will recognize it as a phone or iPod or be weird. I hope this isn't a stupid question! i just have a really really old iPod that's totally full so it would be great to use my old phone!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:16 PM

Yes you can use it as an iPod. If you need to ever restore it or update it you will need to have a microSIM even if it is not active.

2 replies

Jul 13, 2014 9:33 PM in response to SunnyKate

Yes you can use it as an iPod. I use my old iPhone 4 as an iPod. When you restore an iPhone(on iTunes), it should still recognise the iPhone as an iPhone and go through the new phone set up process. Once you have set the phone up there is a message saying 'No sim card installed!' but you can ignore the message and use the phone as an iPod.

Can I use my old iPhone 4s just for music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.