Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I get my pages documents back?

I can't believe it. You really screwed us, yes? I can not open any pages documents from ipad or icloud, or from my Mac. What the **** have you done? Its years of work entrusted in icloud to function properly, and not one document opens now? Will I get my documents back, yes or no?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:21 PM

7 replies

Jul 14, 2014 7:06 AM in response to picas

On icloud it says: 'This document can't be opened' and 'Sorry, this document can't be opened right now, try again later'. On the ipad it says: 'Document can't be imported - document was created with an unsupported application version' and "Newer version needed, download the latest version from the App Store" - which I have. And on the Mac it just says I need the latest version, which I don't have, so that makes sense

Jul 14, 2014 8:24 AM in response to stephenEnz

You are not talking to Apple here. It is a volunteer community providing user-to-user support.

Back up all of your older Pages ’08/’09 .pages/rtf documents to external media for safe keeping.

If your documents were all created in Pages ’08, then they are safe because no current version of Pages on IOS(v2.2.1), OS X (Pages v5(.2)), or Pages for iCloud beta can open them. RTF is no longer supported in any current Pages application. You would have to export to MS Word .doc to interchange the Pages ‘08 content with the current Pages applications. Pages ’09 can also open older Pages ’08 documents, and RTF files.

The installation of Pages v5(.2) on your Mac would have moved the existing Pages application into /Applications/iWork ’08/’09 depending on which Pages release. The older Pages continues to work on Mavericks, providing you do not double-click Pages documents to open them, as Pages v5(.2) will launch, and automatically convert them to the new document format.

The latest IOS Pages v2.2.1, Pages for iCloud beta, and OS X Pages v5(.2) all use a new, backwards incompatible document format — one that still uses the .pages file extension. Pages v5(.2) on OS X is a brand new application that is missing about 100 features/functionality that was available in Pages ’09 v4.3. Consequently, Pages ’09 document functionality is a superset to Pages v5(.2), and templates and documents may have functionality filtered from them when opened by Pages v5(.2). It may do so quietly with truly annoying results. Pages v5(.2) has an export to Pages ’09 feature. What you export may not be what you expect.

Jul 14, 2014 3:16 PM in response to stephenEnz

stephenEnz wrote:

I can't believe it. You really screwed us, yes? I can not open any pages documents from ipad or icloud, or from my Mac. What the **** have you done? Its years of work entrusted in icloud to function properly, and not one document opens now? Will I get my documents back, yes or no?

Who can tell? We don't have crystal balls and you have told us nothing about the problem.

Possibly you have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac and are opening the wrong version.

Or this is an iCloud issue. Personally I don't entrust iCloud with anything I really care about. It is an obvious rickety tower waiting to topple when you least expect it.

Peter

Jan 13, 2015 7:18 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I think this is the problem I am having... "Possibly you have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac and are opening the wrong version."

Yesterday I was editing an important document from pages, and it popped up something to let me know there were 2 versions. Since i had made changes, I clicked on the one that was most recent. I forget what it said when it errored, but it resulted in a crash, closing pages. Since then I have not been able to access the document. It says "document name" can't be opened. If I try to open it in preview it says the file "document name" could not be opened because it is empty. However I can see the preview of the first page, and the file is 1.4MB.

It is also in the cloud, but when I try it also says "this document cannot be opened."

I have a time machine backup at home that I can try to revert to, but I'm hoping there is another way. Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

Also, after the document crashed, I updated to a new version of pages, afraid that had something to do with it. I restarted my computer and the file still has the same issues.

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2015 1:40 PM in response to PixieBob

Pages 5.5.2 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '08/'09 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

right click on your files to open them with the right version.

Pages '08/09 can not open Pages 5.5.2 files, in fact no other version of Pages can open Pages 5.5.2 files and you must be running Yosemite to run Pages 5.5.2, so very incompatible.

Pages 5.5.2 can open Pages '09 files but not Pages '08. It will alter the Pages '09 file and possibly damage it.

To prevent Pages automatically trying to open your damaged file hold down the shift key when starting up.

You may be able to get your file back from Time Machine but take this as a very obvious warning. You can continue to use Pages 5 but with all its over 100 missing features, bloated formats, incompatibilities and Apple's constant changes, it will not end happily. Even more so if you are trusting work to iCloud and iCloud Drive.

Peter

Will I get my pages documents back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.