Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I make a new iCloud account? My brother and I share and neither of us have enough space to back up our phones, and need to.

My brother and I share and iCloud account, and we have the basic 5.0GB of space. The backup space is full and neither of us can back up our phones but need to, so we can clear space on our phones. I want to make a new iCloud account for myself so that I have 5.0GB to myself, but will doing so mess up data on our phones? Such as contacts, apps, etc. Also, if it is safe to make a new account, how can I do so?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:46 PM

Just so you know, doing an iCloud backup is not going to free up any space on your device. It is only going to back up what is on your device in case you need it to restore your device. If you need to free up space on your device, go to Settings>General>Usage, and under the first Storage section, see what is taking up so much room on your phone.

Delete any unneeded apps, delete mail, text messages with videos and photos, remove photos from your Camera Roll if you have imported them to your computer, etc.

If you set up a separate iCloud account, then everything associated with the other iCloud account will no longer be there. Contacts can be preserved by "Keeping them on your Phone" when you delete the original iCloud account (it will ask you if you want to do that). Then, when you add the new iCloud account, you can "Merge" them with that account so you still have them.

Apps are associated with your iTunes account, and you can have a separate iCloud account from your iTunes account (see the section "Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases":

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

To create a new iCloud account, you are essentially setting up a new Apple ID. Here is another helpful support article about setting up a new iCloud account:

Creating an iCloud account: Frequently Asked Questions

Cheers,

GB

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 9:46 PM in response to Thebuddies

Just so you know, doing an iCloud backup is not going to free up any space on your device. It is only going to back up what is on your device in case you need it to restore your device. If you need to free up space on your device, go to Settings>General>Usage, and under the first Storage section, see what is taking up so much room on your phone.

Delete any unneeded apps, delete mail, text messages with videos and photos, remove photos from your Camera Roll if you have imported them to your computer, etc.

If you set up a separate iCloud account, then everything associated with the other iCloud account will no longer be there. Contacts can be preserved by "Keeping them on your Phone" when you delete the original iCloud account (it will ask you if you want to do that). Then, when you add the new iCloud account, you can "Merge" them with that account so you still have them.

Apps are associated with your iTunes account, and you can have a separate iCloud account from your iTunes account (see the section "Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases":

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

To create a new iCloud account, you are essentially setting up a new Apple ID. Here is another helpful support article about setting up a new iCloud account:

Creating an iCloud account: Frequently Asked Questions

Cheers,

GB

What happens if I make a new iCloud account? My brother and I share and neither of us have enough space to back up our phones, and need to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.