Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

always high use of memory

Hello guys how are you.

I need help about how i can decrease the use of the RAM of my mac, always is similar like in the image, kernel use more than 500 MB and safari and Chrome use a lot for each page that is open, is difficult to open other programs or is so slow, what could I do?? as you can see i have only 5.96 mb available

thank you for your help

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:21 PM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2014 5:08 AM in response to Mansepul

Read this Apple article regarding RAM usage with Mavericks:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

Mavericks will try to use as much RAM as possible. That is how it is designed.

You cannot control RAM usage directly. What you can do is close down as many applications as you can which should have a positive impact.

To find RAM gluttons, I find that the CPU column is more informative. Applications that use large percentages of RAM are usually the ones that you may have to delete or find the reason(s) for abnormal behavior.

Ciao.

Jul 14, 2014 5:17 AM in response to Mansepul

Google Chrome and all its attendant flash are often RAM hog candidates.

Still, as mentioned above, Mavericks tends to not leave as much free, unused/wasted RAM. In Terminal, the command vm_stat will give a detailed list of memory characteristics. What do you have under Pageouts? If that is zero or relatively small, your RAM is doing fine.

always high use of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.