Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance decreased with low battery

Hello

I have a Retina macbook pro 15" (late2013) OSX 10.9.4 , I've never discharged below 10% before, but yesterday I did and I noticed that my macbook begin to slow (UI lag) , many tasks stop responding (I have not saved my work yet 😟) ,though basic task can be opened but very slow (Finder Safari etc.) , at first I think this should be Ram error problem because I turned it on and did not shutdown almost a day so I restarted it but result was the same, this problem was solved when it connected to adapter for a while , now I think that low battery might cause this , I start to wonder whether this is normal or I need to something to be replaced.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:17 PM

4 replies

Apr 4, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Kappy

I don't believe your statement is feasible. Never running inducing a full charge cycle on a battery is very likely to damage it. Running it out all the time is also likely to damage it. leaving it charging basically all the time but running out once a month is what i do and my macbook pro retina has 94% health after 2.3 years, with only 144 cycles. ALSO yes this macbook limits processor when on low power which is very very annoying. especially if using multiple desktops, the lag is ridiculous. is there a way to disable this "feature" in settings? thanks

Apr 4, 2016 10:41 AM in response to ConorjW

It used to be that running the battery down all the way would keep it healthy by recalibrating it. That is no longer necessary on the newer laptops. It can also shorten the battery life. Running it till the charge remaining is at 25 to 30% is good enough. There is no way in any settings to change the way the charge system works in relation to power when the battery is almost completely depreciated.

Performance decreased with low battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.