Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using old Extreme connected via ethernet?

I currently just upgraded my 1st gen extreme to a new 3TB Time Capsule. Now my whole house is wired with cat 5 in each room. I have a media closet that every piece of equipment is connected via cat5 to a centralized hub gigabit switch in the garage. I bring in Time warner cable internet service that is connected to the switch. The time capsule is placed in a location in the house that provides wifi and that I can access my media closet (reciever, Bluray, Apple TV etc. iMac computer with iTunes library ) via my iphone or iPad. Don't ask me how but It magically all works, Apple TV can see all of my movies and music located in another room connected via Cat 5 thru the hub or switch, And I can control with my phone on the remote app. Now I tried to extend my wifi using my old Extreme in a spare bedroom hooking it up via ethernet and it seems like it just created another access point instead of extending the new TC. Am I interfering with the TC signal by not making it extend network? Or am I missing something.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:38 PM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 1:07 PM in response to cisko213

You are doing it the right way.. since you have so much cat5 which is so so superior to extending wireless.. you simply setup the old Extreme as AP.

This is called roaming. Setup the extreme in bridge (router bridge that is so off (bridge mode) on network tab.)

Setup the same wireless name and same security and password in the wireless. The airport utility will probably do that automagically now.

Wireless has several separate channels.. when you power up the Extreme it will test what channels are used and pick the ones that are as clear as possible.

For gen1 AE it is only single band anyway so it is up to you if you need extra range in the 2.4ghz or 5ghz. It is not going to be fast as it is very old now. But you should have no problems.. except roaming.. ie carrying around your ipad or iphone may still not jump from the new TC to the old AE as it should. This is a fault in the equipment not your setup. You occasionally will need to power off the device and restart or shut off wireless and restart. Sorry that is how it works. Laptops usually seem to roam ok.

Using old Extreme connected via ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.