Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Projects and events doesn't make sense after upgrade?

I just upgraded to FCPX 10.1 and I understand the library concept. But I don't understand the new projects and events hierarchy. How does it make sense to have projects in an event? Multiple clips from different events is suppose to go into a project. So where is this project suppose to be? In the event that has the most clips in the project? In the event that has the most recent clip? I don't get it.

Events and projects were always different things before. How come one is in another now?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:49 PM

4 replies

Jul 14, 2014 4:23 AM in response to aapl.crox

Many people consider the new "library model" to be superior because the library bundle provides a means to collect everything that are elements in that project – including original media, transcoded media,, computer-genrtated media, Much easier to move it from device to device or system to system for collaboration.

You can still have projects accessing multiple events. Best if hat's contained within a single library.

Russ

Jul 14, 2014 4:53 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I understand there it has flexibility but it makes no sense. There must be some sort of logic behind Apple's decision. They could have easily made projects a separate object type at the top level under library. Everything still falls under a library but clearly they are different things.

Why exactly are projects under events? What is the logic? If you have an event that contains all the projects in the library, then that isn't an event anymore?! Why is it even called an event then. It's like a generic folder.

Jul 14, 2014 10:25 PM in response to aapl.crox

aapl.crox wrote:

... Why exactly are projects under events? What is the logic? If you have an event that contains all the projects in the library, then that isn't an event anymore?! Why is it even called an event then. It's like a generic folder.

When I explain others FCPX' main organizational concept, I like to say:

Using 'drawers' = folders allows to put a clip just in one place.

Using tags allows to search&find the same material (or parts of it....) under many keywords.

So, Events are NOT folders 😉 (by concept, technically perhaps yes...)

That whole Lib/Projects/'Dailys' (=by preset, an Event collects all material of one day…) structure is the most simple, basic structure to 'teach' people tagging.

It is the same discussion we had 13y ago, with iTunes: the hamsters groaned "iTunes destroyed my manual sorted 40.ooo folders, it is a mess!" … you remember that? They put carefully Obladioblada into White Album into Beatles into Pop into 1968 into ... what if you try to find all Lennon-songs? All Beatles-songs covered by others? What if Revolution#9 is to be summarized under ProgRock? What, if I remember it on the Red Album or under Cliff Richard??? tagging is so much smarter, faster, flexible ...

imho, Lib/Projects/'Dailys' was/is just a smart way to teach us the flexibility of meta-info, instead of 'hard facts', such as dumb filenames or simple creation dates. Or manual compiled drawers.

Meanwhile, that meta-data-handling got a bit more flexibility, as Tom said: you can use it this or that or your way. A documentarist has probably a completely different orga-scheme than a daily-soap guy or a hobbyist or short-film-maker or an ad-creator or a churchTV producer .. or .. or ... or ... Watch for example what Michael Garber can do with tags ... that is way beyond bins&folders&clip-names ...

In the end, it is completely unimportant 'where' to store stuff; more important is how to find it. And, e.g. those Libraries with their automatisms to maintain and collect data external and internal simultaneously … phew, that is a master-piece of cleverness!

You can even look at it as 'folders'... if you like to. 😉

my 5¢ ... me no engineer ..............

Projects and events doesn't make sense after upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.