Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto library not visible for itunes home sharing

Hello, I have an issue where my iPhoto library is not visible in iTunes Photo Sharing Preferences. I wish to have my iPhoto library (Aperture Library) available on my Apple TV. I have switched on Home Sharing. When I go to iTunes/File/Home Sharing/ then wish to select which photos to share, iPhoto is not listed in the preference pane. The only available option is my Pictures folder.

My library is on an external hard drive. When I try to point to it manually, the library is greyed out.

Any ideas? I have been using Home Sharing for a long time and have not had this before. I have latest version of iTunes and iPhoto. My library is an Aperture library. The external hard drive is Mac OS Extended format. There should be no issues there. I have done a check disk and a repair permissions also.

Thxs

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 2:20 AM

26 replies

Jul 14, 2014 6:04 AM in response to pweester

Hello, I have an issue where my iPhoto library is not visible in iTunes Photo Sharing Preferences. I wish to have my iPhoto library (Aperture Library) available on my Apple TV.

Does your joint Aperture/iPhoto library show in the Finder as "Kind Aperture Library"?

User uploaded file

Then set your Photo Sharing to share from Aperture and not from iPhoto.

When I try to sync or share iPhoto libraries from iTunes, it will look for libraries "Kind iPhoto" and not sync with an Aperture library, even if it is the current iPhoto library.

User uploaded file

Jul 23, 2014 7:36 AM in response to pweester

If it is only iTunes, try, if removing the photo caches from the Aperture library will help. (iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder)

• Make a backup of your Aperture library, if you do not have a current backup. Quit iTunes, Aperture, and iPhoto.
  • Then select the library in the Finder, and ctrl-click or right-click it.
  • Select "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that will pop up.
  • You will see a Finder window with the files and folders in the Library package. Look for a folder called "Apple TV Photo Cache" and a folder "iPod Photo Cache". Remove these folders to the Desktop, but be careful not to move anything else.

User uploaded file

Now try again to share your photos.

Jul 23, 2014 11:07 AM in response to pweester

i have tried to create a new library for iphoto and that one appears properly in itunes.

If iTunes is seeing a new iPhoto library, it is worth a try to see, if iTunes will recognise a new Aperture library. Create a new Aperture library for testing, and if that succeeds, switch Aperture back to your regular Aperture library.

If that library is still not recognised in iTunes, back up your Aperture library and repair it - use all Aperture library First Aid Tools in turn.

You rebuild the library by launching either Aperture while holding down the key combination⌥⌘ (option-command) and double-clicking the Aperture icon. Keep holding down the keys, until you are seeing the Library First Aid panel. Select to repair the database.

Jul 28, 2014 3:37 AM in response to léonie

Yes good news indeed, I managed to get it to appear in the iTunes Home Sharing Preference pane. But it still dont work. I think there is more repqiring to do.

But what I also discovered is that, iTunes will not recognise an Aperture library if Aperture is not installed.

This is a bit strange because my Aperture library is readable with iPhoto. In fact I dont use Aperture anymore (at the moment) so I use iPhoto which can read my Aperture library but iTunes will not 'see' it.

So now am wondering if its best to convert my Aperture library (.aplibrary) into an iPhoto library....this could be easier.

Jul 28, 2014 5:32 AM in response to pweester

So now am wondering if its best to convert my Aperture library (.aplibrary) into an iPhoto library....this could be easier.

It will be easier to reinstall Aperture, it is just 1GB after all, and you may need it for troubleshooting your libraries one day.

The problem is, Aperture lets you convert iPhoto libraries into Aperture libraries, but iPhoto does not support to convert Aperture libraries to iPhoto libraries, even if both libraries are essentially the same. Downgrading your Aperture library will be lossy, because you would have to use iPhoto library manager to do that.

iphoto library not visible for itunes home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.