Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine > Folder Structure

I am using external HDD to backup my MBP 15, iMac, MBA 13 and the folder structure (of the external HD) looks like this

User uploaded file

I am also using Time Capsule to backup two Mac Mini but the folder structure looks like this

User uploaded file

Why the two folder structure are different? Why there is no individual folder according to the date for time machine backup for the two Mac Mini that is backup vi Time Capsule? Is this the intended result?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 5:44 AM

The answer would be that Time Machine backs up differently to a drive that is connected directly to Mac versus a shared drive....the Time Capsule in your case....which is connected to the network.

Backups to a network drive like the Time Capsule are located in a special container called a sparsebundle file.

If you open up the sparse bundle file and drill down a few levels, you will the same type of Backups.backudb folder that you see on the drive connected directly to the Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 5:44 AM in response to jameshoty

The answer would be that Time Machine backs up differently to a drive that is connected directly to Mac versus a shared drive....the Time Capsule in your case....which is connected to the network.

Backups to a network drive like the Time Capsule are located in a special container called a sparsebundle file.

If you open up the sparse bundle file and drill down a few levels, you will the same type of Backups.backudb folder that you see on the drive connected directly to the Mac.

Time Machine > Folder Structure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.