Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages refusing to work

I got myself a used forth gen iPod Touch. I have erased everything and set it up as a new device.

However iMessages are not working, every contact that has iMessages that I enter in the address field gives me the same message on the iPod "is not registered with iMessages".

But they all are, I used to communicate with them on my iPhone.

There is no problem with activation of iMessages and no issue with any other service, for instance FaceTime gets though to each contact like normal.

Is there a possibility something is wrong with the iPod? I could return it if I can prove something is wrong with it.

Running iOS 6.1.6

Normally from Brazil, but currently in United Kingdom.

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 12:55 AM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2014 1:30 AM in response to thais275

Have you tired here:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

Can you receive Messages?

Note that Messages on an iPod can only send to other users with the Messages app on their iOS device and yo must be using the email address/phone number they have in Settings>Messages>Send and Receive. An iPhne on the other hand can Message to to iOS mEssages as wll as SMS.MMS messages for non iOS devices.

Jul 14, 2014 2:43 PM in response to lllaass

Yes I have tried all of the "iOS: Troubleshooting Messages"

The contacts I am attempting to contact are all email address's that are registered with iMessages.

I am unable to revive or send.

I had someone else try login into iMessages and they got the same "is not registered with iMessages" with any contact that is registered and works on other iPods and iPads.

iMessages refusing to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.