Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was hoping to upgrade my imac to ram to Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB Kit (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX24C11T3K2/16X but I don't know if it's compatible!can anyone help me?

I was hoping to upgrade my mid 2011 imacs' ram to Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB Kit (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX24C11T3K2/16X but I don't know if it's compatible! can anyone help me?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 1:20 AM

4 replies

Jul 14, 2014 2:20 AM in response to Antoineekhoury

I don't know if it's compatible either, but you're wise to check as iMacs can be VERY picky about which modules are installed.

It's often recommended on here that the best places to buy RAM from are either Macsales or Crucial. They both have RAM selectors on their sites and will guarantee that the RAM will work:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

http://www.crucial.com

Jul 14, 2014 6:51 AM in response to Antoineekhoury

Historically, Kingston ValueRAM has been very unhappy in Intel Macs; I don't know if what you linked falls in that category. However, as I can't always tell if Kingston is "ValueRAM" or their standard RAM (usually works). I have used OWC (the "macsales" link Paul posted) for all our Mac RAM for over a decade with perfect results, and we have something like 18 Macs in the family!

Jul 14, 2014 7:25 AM in response to Antoineekhoury

the type of connector one finds on what windows / linux computers call desktop memory is not the type that iMacs use they use the same type in terms of connectors as laptops

if I were you I try use crucial 's website to find out 100% what type of memory you need they know all based on your iMac model number or you can run their program which detects it

I was hoping to upgrade my imac to ram to Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB Kit (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX24C11T3K2/16X but I don't know if it's compatible!can anyone help me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.