Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cell Format Changes with "Insert Date & Time"

Hey folks -

I have an entire column in my Numbers (latest version, on the Mac) sheet formatted with a specific date format (MM/DD/YY). If I click on a cell in that column and use the "Insert -> Date & Time" menu option, it completely changes the format of the cell to the default date format of the month spelled out, then the day, and year. Is there any way to prevent Numbers from changing that cell's formatting, and have it keep the column's formatting intact?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 5:20 AM

8 replies

Jul 14, 2014 6:00 AM in response to JasonVP

Hi Jason,

(latest version, on the Mac)

Please quote the version of Numbers. The latest version is Numbers 3.2 where Insert Date & Time is greyed out for the "normal" view (where you can edit a table cell). To my knowledge, Insert Date & Time works only in Print Preview for page headers and footers, not cells.

If you are able to insert Date & Time into a table cell, it seems you are running Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09).

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 14, 2014 6:03 AM in response to Yellowbox

Yellowbox wrote:

Please quote the version of Numbers. The latest version is Numbers 3.2 where Insert Date & Time is greyed out for the "normal" view (where you can edit a table cell).

It's 3.2 (1861) and you can Insert --> Date & Time as long as you click on the cell and enter input mode. Otherwise, yes, it's greyed out.

Jul 14, 2014 6:26 AM in response to JasonVP

Hi Jason,

click on the cell and enter input mode

Aha! we learn a little each day. Now I see. On a Mac, click twice on a cell to 'enter input mode' and Insert Date & Time is no longer greyed out. Thanks for that 🙂.

Now you've got me. I need to play around with that new idea.

'insert Date & Time' to an already-formatted cell as in your original question does exactly what you said.

'Insert Date & Time' in a blank cell seems to be better behaved.

Off to have a play... and I hope others will step in with ideas.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 14, 2014 6:40 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian -

Yellowbox wrote:

Now you've got me. I need to play around with that new idea.

I appreciate you doing some experimentation and whatnot. I am new to Numbers having relied on Excel for many a year. Its simple CTRL ; to enter today's date into the cell is so ****** handy. It's the only thing frustrating me about Numbers at this point.

I can go back into the cell after the date is placed into it, and re-format the cell appropriately. But that's an extra step or two, and seems kind of a kludge. I'm hoping there's a way around it. :-)

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2014 6:57 AM in response to JasonVP

I am new to Numbers having relied on Excel for many a year.

Hi Jason,

I too came from Excel and it took me a while to understand that in Numbers, Date & Time format is exactly what it means. Both the Date and the Time are stored, even if only a part is displayed (through cell formatting). Date and Time really means an instant in time since midnight at the start of 1st January 1904 (the first Leap Year in the last century). Apparently, that makes time calculations easier (for the Numbers design engineers).

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 14, 2014 4:21 PM in response to JasonVP

Hi Jason,

SG haas built a nice applescript that will insert the current date it is here: SGIII

It will do what you want it to do without changing your formatting. He has offered it in a few threads so if you have questions just do a search on "insert date".

edit:

I think this may be the original thread: SGIII

If you just want the download it is here 'Insert time' Automator Service

quinn

Cell Format Changes with "Insert Date & Time"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.