Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager Settings for Group does not display for individual members of the group

Hi there,

Can anyone confirm whether I am going mad or not, I and new to Mac Server and have set up Profile Manager on OSX Mavericks from scratch and have been using it successfully to deploy enterprise iPads. I have just gone to edit the profile as we wish to increase the timeout time to locking and have been greeted with something strange.

We have all users in a Group which has settings applied for timeout, pass code change etc. however if I go to an individual account who is part of that group then it isn't showing any settings for that user and it would appear I need to set them again. Similarly if I go to a device belonging to a member of the group then its not showing any settings for that device.

I would have assumed that if you set restrictions for a group then when you view the restrictions for a member of the group then it would be the same however it appears that you can have a separate payload for a group. Is this the case?

I am grateful for any advice people can give me.

Thanks again.

Rob

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 7:12 PM

I would have assumed that if you set restrictions for a group then when you view the restrictions for a member of the group then it would be the same

That was never the way it worked in older versions of 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 Server.

The restrictions for a Group were shown for a Group. The restrictions for a User (alone) were shown for that User.

And the advantage is that if you see something wrong for a single user, you might be tempted to fix it there, in that user, and when you had changed six of them, you might remember that you meant that to be a group setting after all.

And the software to implement them separately is simpler, but YOU have to test it to find out the end results of compositing Group and User settings.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 7:12 PM in response to ReverendRob

I would have assumed that if you set restrictions for a group then when you view the restrictions for a member of the group then it would be the same

That was never the way it worked in older versions of 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 Server.

The restrictions for a Group were shown for a Group. The restrictions for a User (alone) were shown for that User.

And the advantage is that if you see something wrong for a single user, you might be tempted to fix it there, in that user, and when you had changed six of them, you might remember that you meant that to be a group setting after all.

And the software to implement them separately is simpler, but YOU have to test it to find out the end results of compositing Group and User settings.

Profile Manager Settings for Group does not display for individual members of the group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.