Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to write the "Event Log" to a text file

I need to save the Event Log to a text file. I know how to create the external text file, using something like this...

set myLogFile to open for access POSIX file "/Users/tjingrassia/Desktop/myScript.txt" with write permission

write "some text" to myLogFile

close access myLogFile

My question is, how do I replace "some text" with the Event Log?

Also, is it possible to have this be done on the fly. My purpose is to track the status of a Handbrake CLI rip. The Event Log gives the percentage of the encode completed, but I'd like to be able to access that info, as it's happening, externally. Sort of a workaround for AppleScript not being able to do a progress bar.

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 4:57 AM

3 replies

Jul 14, 2014 7:41 PM in response to tjingrassia

The Event Log is just a feature of the AppleScript Editor - it is monitoring the Apple Events from the script and formatting them into their human-readable form. You might be able to write an application to do the same thing, but it will be a whole lot of work, and I'm not sure about intercepting Apple Events for another application.

Regular AppleScript doesn't provide a progress bar, but you can create one using a Cocoa-AppleScript application.

MacBook Pro / OS X Mavericks (10.9.3) / Xcode 5.1.1 / RubyMotion FTW

How to write the "Event Log" to a text file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.