Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use TimeMachine backups on external hd with OS X Server?

My setup is:

- Mac Pro 2008 with OS X Server

- iMac 2013

- MacBook Air 2013

- HP G62 laptop

I want to use the Mac Pro as a home server for media library, document sharing and TimeMachine backups. Therefore I installed OS X Server. For extra space I use two external hard drives.

When I want to use one of those hd's for TimeMachine backups, I get an error. The same problem when I store my media content on a external hd and want to share it with Plex Media Server. When I use the Macintosh HD I don't have problems with TimeMachine neither with Plex sharing.

Note: I can see the external hd's from client computers.

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 4:21 AM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2014 5:03 AM in response to ricardovh

What error are you getting? Post the system.log error.

How are the external drives formatted? If FAT then this may be your issue. If you have no content on the drives, you might want to try reformatting the drives and ensuring that you are choosing GUID partition map and HFS+ Journaled.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Jul 14, 2014 5:26 PM in response to ricardovh

Time Machine heeft geen toegangtot de reservekopieschijf "Backups".

De Bewerking kan niet worden voltooid. (OSStatus fout 2.)

>>Time Machine does not [have] back up access [to] the disk "Backups".

>>The Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

-----

The Backup disk must be attached Directly to the machine being backed up (I think you mean that to be the Server in this case). it must be powered on and mounted when you configure Time Machine. [You can eject it later if desired.]

You can not do a remote Backup across the Network to a Time Machine drive on a Server, but you can certainly back up every User's shared files that are stored on the Server.

How do I use TimeMachine backups on external hd with OS X Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.