Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garbled display on startup, need to start a few times for login screen!

Hi guys,

I am using a current-gen Mac Pro (quad-core 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive), with three monitors - a 27" Thunderbolt Monitor, an older 23" Apple monitor, and an Acer monitor. All are connected to individual Thunderbolt ports.

I've been having an issue recently where when I start up the Mac Pro, two of the three displays show odd coloured patterns instead of the startups screen. The third shows garbled text. I am unable to log on - the only option is to power off the Mac Pro, restart it, and hopefully after a few attempts at this, the displays show up correctly and I can log in successfully.

I've included an image of what I am seeing when this problem occurs.

I would be grateful for any troubleshooting tips, or suggestions. If you think I might have a faulty Mac Pro (with dud graphics card), I would be keen to know that too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Cheers,

Mike

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 4:48 AM

11 replies

Jul 14, 2014 6:05 PM in response to yeloop

Try lllaass' good suggestions above. I don't think that is just a software problem.

Those kinds of graphics artifacts (if they are stable and not dancing all over the screen) are usually generated by the graphics card itself, not by a bad cable or connection. If you have access to an Apple Store, you should make an appointment and take it in. Anything that is repeatable, they can fix (by replacing things until it works properly.)

In the US, you can also call AppleCare and have them send you a courier-pack to send it in to a depot.

Another interesting test (not sure you can do it here) is if you can capture the defect in a screen shot. If you can, the defect is sitting in the screen buffer. If not, it is being generated on the way out of your Mac and onto your display.

Jul 14, 2014 6:08 PM in response to yeloop

In the last couple of days, I have seen several graphics issues from the new (cylinder) MacPro (including iTechDude21). Will this become a trend with the dual GPUs on the new machines. It makes me leary of buying one of these now.

Do the monitors work without any issues on other machines without such artifacts?

Jul 14, 2014 7:51 PM in response to Loner T

These forums attract the people with problems. They are not representative of the entire population.

You are correct that some users have reported graphics problems, but there must be thousands out there who have not reported such problems. These machines have been in such high demand they have been on allocation for SIX MONTHS.

If only a handful are reported here as having graphics problems, that is a GREAT track record!

Jul 15, 2014 1:59 AM in response to yeloop

I am having exactly the same issue - three displays, scrambled occasionally on start up, fixed by restarting.

I feel a bit like a guinea pig trying out Mac's new MacPro but as a video editor who had years of use out of his old MacPro and then had to wait a year before Apple produced a replacement, it feels like they've rather rushed the job.

Still, I'm a unashamed Apple fan and will be for a long time to come. Like supporting a football team through thick and thin, loyalty pays off in the long run. (Probably famous last words!).

Anyway, will try the suggestions here - thanks for the pointers.

Garbled display on startup, need to start a few times for login screen!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.