Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid 2011 slow boot

I bought a second hand iMac mid-2011 in 2014 summer with ML 10.8.5 in it, and without doing a fresh install, upgraded to Mavericks. My system in fully upgraded, to 10.9.4 and it's boot time is like 3mins while my 2006 mac mini starts up in 35 secs. I am really frustrated. I found a script, and added it to my startup items. the login (Which takes bout 2mins) was faster, but the boot time is them same. the script is:

roperty systemList : {¬

"com.apple.ATS.System.fcache", ¬

"com.apple.ATSServer.FODB_System", ¬

"fontTablesAnnex"}

property localList : {¬

"501:Classic.fcache", ¬

"501:Local.fcache", ¬

"User.fcache", ¬

"Classic.fodb", ¬

"Local.fodb", ¬

"User.fodb", ¬

"FondResourceCache"}

tell application "Finder"

set versionFinder to version as text

end tell

if versionFinder starts with "10.3" then

set localCaches to ((path to "cusr") as text) & "Library:Caches:com.apple.ATS:"

set systemCaches to ((path to "boot") as text) & "System:Library:Caches:"

tell application "Finder"

repeat with name in localList

try

delete file (localCaches & name)

end try

end repeat

repeat with name in systemList

try

deletefile (systemCaches & name)

end try

end repeat

end tell

end if

Please help me. I bought this mac for around $1000. my specs are :

iMac 21.5 inch mid-2011 (base model)

2.5GHZ 2400S Core i5

4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB of VRAM

OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 1:08 PM

It's a known issue with Mavericks. Too busy trying to restore things as they were before shutting down. Remove items from your user's Login items under Users & Groups prefPane, for starters. Then, ensure that you don't have anything set to open up windows when restarting.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), SL & ML, G4 450 MP w/Leopard, 9.2.2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 1:08 PM in response to The MacBook Guy

It's a known issue with Mavericks. Too busy trying to restore things as they were before shutting down. Remove items from your user's Login items under Users & Groups prefPane, for starters. Then, ensure that you don't have anything set to open up windows when restarting.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), SL & ML, G4 450 MP w/Leopard, 9.2.2

iMac mid 2011 slow boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.