Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force apps to use cellular instead of wifi?

I have an app (Dash Command) that uses wifi to connect to an OBD adapter in my car. Once that connection is made, my other apps (maps, music, etc.) try to use that wifi connection to access the internet. Is there some way to force apps to use cellular instead of wifi?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 7:27 AM

10 replies

Aug 9, 2017 6:25 PM in response to SnakeDog

YES- with help from other websites and trial & error

I found out

how to use Dashcommand connected to a OBD wifi and cell data at the same time

follow these steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to the Wi-Fi for your backup camera.

2. Go to SETTINGS and select Wi-Fi then select the blue INFO icon to the right of the name of your WIFI device

3. Make note of both the IP address and the Subnet Mask address and the Router address

4. Select the STATIC option and enter only the IP and Subnet Mask and Router addresses from Step 3 -- (Leave everything else blank)

5. Now on that same page TOUCH ("click") on the

this will save the settings you just entered

6. Now, (from my experience) you need to go into Dashcommand app and log out of your Dashcommand account (if you have one set up)

(for some reason if that app is signed in and accessing cell data it seems to be overriding the data from other

apps)

Now you should be able to connect to OBD Wifi and use cell data for other apps

One final note- when your iPhone is connected to the OBD II device, you will not see the WIFI connected bars logo in the top left corner, you will see LTE or 4G etc...

but if you go into Settings >WiFi you will see that it is connected

Aug 9, 2017 6:27 PM in response to strorg

I found out

follow these steps:

2. Go to SETTINGS and select Wi-Fi then select the blue INFO icon to the right of the name of your WIFI device

3. Make note of both the IP address and the Subnet Mask address and the Router address

4. Select the STATIC option and enter only the IP and Subnet Mask and Router addresses from Step 3 -- (Leave everything else blank)

6. Now, (from my experience) you need to go into Dashcommand app and log out of your Dashcommand account (if you have one set up)

(for some reason if that app is signed in and accessing cell data it seems to be overriding the data from other

apps)

One final note- when your iPhone is connected to the OBD II device, you will not see the WIFI connected bars logo in the top left corner, you will see LTE or 4G etc...

Aug 9, 2017 6:37 PM in response to strorg

I found out

follow these steps:

6. Now, (from my experience) you need to go into

Dashcommand app and log out of your

Dashcommand account (if you have one set up)

apps)

Jul 15, 2014 3:44 AM in response to strorg

Actually there is a fix for this - provided by a user at the F150 forum. When you setup the network details for the adapter, use a static ip but don't put in any router IP. It will force the phone to still use your cellular for any data. The settings below worked for me. I can now use my Dash Command app via the wifi connection to the adapter, and my other apps all use cellular. Works perfectly.

User uploaded file

Force apps to use cellular instead of wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.