Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad App Updates Are Frozen - Help Please!

I was updating a bunch of apps on my iPad 2 but didn't finish before leaving an area with WiFi. When I got to another wireless network, the updates did not resume. When I go to the App Store on the iPad and tap Updates, nothing appears. When I try to tap an app on the iPad, that was in the process of updating, it does not open. However, if I go to the App Store, locate the app and open from within the App Store, it will open. I cannot get the apps to continue/finish updating.

I also tried syncing with my MacBook Retina, running 10.8.5. Everything synced except the updating apps. Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 6:27 AM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2014 6:33 AM in response to kimbroad

Try this and see if the updates will resume on their own. If they do not resume on their own, try tapping on one of the app icons again and see what happens.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Jul 14, 2014 7:49 AM in response to kimbroad

If there are multiple apps trying to download at once, only one can download at a time and the rest say "Waiting" until it is then their turn. Try this. Double tap the icon of the Waiting app, and it should resume the download.

How to Solve the Problem of An iPad App Download Stuck on “Waiting”

http://ipadacademy.com/2012/06/how-to-solve-the-problem-of-an-ipad-app-download- stuck-on-waiting

How To Get Rid Of Your iPad App Download Frozen Problem

http://www.sidelineapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-your-ipad-app-download-frozen-pro blem-and-not-lose-years-of-your-life-video/

iTunes: How to resume interrupted iTunes Store downloads

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1725

Another thing to try - Turn the iPad Off & then back ON.

If that doesn't work:

• Log out of your iTunes store account. Go to Settings > Store > Sign Out Then press the Home button.

• Then press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously and don't release them when it brings up the Turn Off screen; keep holding them until the Apple logo appears.

• After restart, the Waiting should be gone.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Oct 1, 2014 8:23 AM in response to kimbroad

There is a big flaw in the IOS 8 software and the apps get stuck updating. To fix this you should shut off the wifi on the iPad and then shut off the iPad itself completely. Wait 30 seconds and then restart the iPad. Then wait about 2 minutes and turn the wifi back on. You will begin to see the apps start updating. I think that Apple is trying to frustrate and test us--but we always seem to figure it out. This would have never happened if Steve Jobs were still running the show.

iPad App Updates Are Frozen - Help Please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.