Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail not responding

Yesterday, 13th July, I downloaded new security updates. When I went to shut my Mac down in the evening I got the following. "The application Mail cancelled shut down. To try again quit mail & choose Apple menu to shut down. However, Mail wouldn't shut and I had to Force Quit.

Today I have had numerous mail problems: With my iCloud account: The connection to the server p12-imap.mail.com on port 993 timed out.

My gmail account takes forever to send.

I ran Repair disk permissions and tried to reboot and got the same problem with Mail not allowing me to shut the computer.

When I managed eventually to shut down I got. Mail was unable to log into the IMAP server "imap.gmail.com using password authentication"

What is going on and is this to do with the security update - a bit of a coincidence if it isn't

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 3:05 PM

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Mail. Then check it again and test.

6 replies

Jul 15, 2014 3:00 AM in response to Foxmac

Thank you for that. I wasn't sure whether it was the security updates I downloaded, iCloud or the new Netgear router I just installed. All happened at the same time. Still a bit of a problem with e-mail this morning if I open mail too fast it says it can't find the server. Have to wait 5 minutes and try again - this is for my gmail and iCloud accounts.

PS - not impressed at all with new - very expensive - Netgear router.

Jul 16, 2014 2:42 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi - I thought problem was fixed but Mail is now refusing to quit again. Have to force quit to shut down computer. I am fairly certain that this was to do with the new security updates I downloaded.

Speaking to my daughter who has a brand new Macbook Pro she has the same problem which has been there since she first bought the machine. Obviously a software bug somewhere. Very annoying.

Nov 23, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

What check box in iCloud preference pane?

Only thing in the iCloud preference (in System > Preferences) is my Apple ID (filled in) & password (empty).

There is help text indicating there are additional preferences in iCloud, but I don't use iCloud... at least to the best of my knowledge. Has recent upgrade to Mavericks secretly hooked me up to iCloud somehow?

Mail not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.