Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to free up memory .

I'm trying to free up some memory , so I got an external hard drive . But after moving my iPhoto and itunes and several other apps to it my memory does not seem to have come down by very much , also sometimes when I switch on the Mac I get a 'chime' sometimes I don't , sometimes I can see these , sometimes I don't.

Can anyone help ? Thank you .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:32 AM

Hello,

Do not move apps!

Transfer movies, music, pictures, etc. --

From your Home folder to the external hard drive.

4 replies

Jul 14, 2014 8:57 AM in response to McMacman

If you move pictures, movies, etc to a hard drive, they are copied over - the originals remain on your hard drive. In order to create space (the hard drive has space, it is not memory), you need to delete those items from your hard drive and empty the trash (that is after you copy them over and make sure that they work on the external drive).

If you move your entire library, then make sure it is associated with the application and that all the pics are there before deleting anything on your internal drive or you might accidentally lose your files.

Jul 17, 2014 6:18 AM in response to MadMacs0

Sorry , I should have replied to this earlier , my disc is full , and I still don't know what I'm doing ... I just have a computer , like a car , i can drive but I'n not a mechanic ..

So my disc is full i would like to move my music and photos onto the ehd and other files too . , I have asked before , but was told to move it to the ehd then 'tell' it where the photos are ... 'tell' , anyway I do have a very large hammer in my shed ... lol

I'm trying to free up memory .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.