Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I buy iPad mini or full size?

Currently my daughters are playing with my old iPad 1 and 2. The latest update really nailed them hard in regards to performance. Being realistic I understand that these are older machines and upgrading is in the near feature one way or the other. My issue that I'm having is this, thought the mini would be a much better size for the girls it is using older CPU and graphics hardware compared to the current iPad full size. Since apps are not created specifically for the mini and may be looking for more current hardware if I get a mini now I'm worried that it will become outdated sooner then the full size iPad. Just wondering what the thoughts are from others on this topic?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:17 AM

6 replies

Jul 14, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Gene_Arnold

As Skydiver119 mentions, the mini Retina is basically an iPad Air scaled down to the mini size. The mini Retina and the Air are the highest performance iPads *currently* available and the purchase of either one is as "future-proof" as your going to get at this point in time. The iPad mini (1st gen) is basically an iPad 2 but scaled down and uses older processor technology as well as 1/2 the ram (what the OS and apps run in and not to be confused with on-device storage space) of the mini Retina. I would personally rather spend the extra $100 for the mini Retina just for the increased "future-proof" time. Also factor in that new models may also probably be on the way so this should also be considered.

Jul 14, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Gene_Arnold

i own the mini retina. wonderful thing.

obviously the regular iPad has a bigger screen. if you like this, buy a regular.

the mini is smaller, this means a lot easier to take with you. and mobility should be concerned when talking mobile devices. i travel a lot, so i went for the mini.

another point is that the mini is lighter than the regular. when sofa browsing, the mini is more comfortable in your hands. this may sound strange, but whenever i use my wife's or my son's regular iPads, i instantly notice these devices are 'heavy'.

last point is considering the apps you are going to use. on the mini, the interface is smaller, ie not so easy to operate in some cases. i use synthesizer apps that feature keyboards on the touchscreen. on some, even the biggest size of keys is a bit small (because they were designed for the regular's screen size).

Should I buy iPad mini or full size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.