Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A mess of wi-fi...

About a week ago, I got a new gaming console (Wii U). Ever since then, the Wii U and the printer keep dropping from the internet, but the rest of the devices do not drop from the wi-fi.

I called my internet provider, and they said it was because there was multiple routers (my NetGear and 2 of my 3 AirPorts, one of which is a TIme Capsule) were set up to create a wireless signal. This made sense because when I was setting up wi-fi on the Wii U and printer only, the network name popped up 3 times, while it only pops up once on my Mac and iOS devices.

Now, the questions:

1. Why does this only affect my Wii U and printer?

2. How do I actually fix this?

3. If setting the AirPorts to extend a network would work, would that mess up my Time Capsule?

4. If this community can't fix this, then who should I call?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:08 AM

3. If setting the AirPorts to extend a network would work, would that mess up my Time Capsule?

Unless the connections between the Netgear and AirPort base stations will be wired (Ethernet) ones, you will not be able to "extend" the Wi-Fi network provided by the NetGear. If; however, you can support wired connections, then you have the basis for a roaming network.

With a roaming network, the Apple base stations could be used to extend the Netgear's wireless network. You, in essence, would be creating a "single" Wi-Fi network that uses a single network name or SSID even though each base station would broadcast its own wireless network.

Using a roaming network will have no effect on the Time Capsule as it too can (& should) participate in this network.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 8:08 AM in response to wiifan

Unless the connections between the Netgear and AirPort base stations will be wired (Ethernet) ones, you will not be able to "extend" the Wi-Fi network provided by the NetGear. If; however, you can support wired connections, then you have the basis for a roaming network.

With a roaming network, the Apple base stations could be used to extend the Netgear's wireless network. You, in essence, would be creating a "single" Wi-Fi network that uses a single network name or SSID even though each base station would broadcast its own wireless network.

Using a roaming network will have no effect on the Time Capsule as it too can (& should) participate in this network.

Jul 15, 2014 1:20 PM in response to wiifan

Do all of my Airports need to be connected to the main router, or does just one of them need to be?

For a "true" roaming network, ALL routers must be interconnected back to the "main" router by Ethernet. This can be done in a serial or parallel fashion. That is, you can have the TC connected directly to the Netgear by Ethernet, and then, connect one Extreme to the TC. Then connect the second Extreme to the first.

The other method would be to connect an Ethernet switch to the Netgear, and then, run an Ethernet line (one each) from this switch to each of the AirPort base stations.

Jul 15, 2014 1:23 PM in response to wiifan

The AirPort Utility diagram tells me at least three things:

1. The Time Capsule is your "main" router and is connected directly to either a modem or a gateway that is in bridge mode.
  2. The connection between the TC and the Family Room Extreme is by Ethernet.
  3. The connection between the TC and the Master Bedroom Extreme is by wireless.

Jul 16, 2014 8:12 AM in response to wiifan

The network graphic in the AirPort Utility does not always provide an exact definition of your actual network. You may find what it shows can "shift" from when you first open the utility to after it has been running for awhile. My response is based on what it was showing when you posted it.

Again the graphic shows wired connections as solid lines and wireless ones with a dotted line.

A mess of wi-fi...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.