Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto issues

Hi,

I have been using iPhoto for sometime and finding difficulties in below areas.

1. Every time I create a new folder with new pictures under my Pictures folder in Mac, how can I sync it to iPhoto automatically? I have experience that I have synched wrong folder to iPhoto and there are duplicates in iPhoto now.

2. My Pictures folder has duplicate photos in different folders and though i have used "Duplicate cleaner for iphoto", but I understand it will only remove duplicates from iPhoto and not folders. Is there a way to remove duplicates from folders too?

Any advice is really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 9:07 AM

1 - You can't automatically. To get those photos imported into iPhoto just drag the folder containing the new pictures onto the iPhoto icon in the Dock or into the open iPhoto window. If you're running a "managed" library, i.e. have iPhoto's Advanced preferences set to copy photos into the library during import,

User uploaded file

you can then delete that folder of new pictures from your hard drive to free up space on the hard drive.

2 - As I said in response to Question #1 you can delete those "source" folder from the Pictures folder if you're running a "managed" library because you have copies of them inside the iPhoto Library package. They are just taking up space on your hard drive.

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 9:07 AM in response to Vidhi4

1 - You can't automatically. To get those photos imported into iPhoto just drag the folder containing the new pictures onto the iPhoto icon in the Dock or into the open iPhoto window. If you're running a "managed" library, i.e. have iPhoto's Advanced preferences set to copy photos into the library during import,

User uploaded file

you can then delete that folder of new pictures from your hard drive to free up space on the hard drive.

2 - As I said in response to Question #1 you can delete those "source" folder from the Pictures folder if you're running a "managed" library because you have copies of them inside the iPhoto Library package. They are just taking up space on your hard drive.

User uploaded file

Jul 14, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad.

But I have some clarifications -

1. Once all the pictures are in iPhoto library and I delete these from my Pictures folder in Mac, Is there a way to archive or backup iPhoto pictures?

2. Is there any use of having multiple iPhoto libraries?

3. Last time I imported photos from Pictures folder to iPhoto, it showed me "no space in iPhoto library". Is there any way to not experience this again? Also now I am not sure if all the pictures of folder are already being imported to iPhoto. And also the means to import remaining photos to iPhoto?

Jul 14, 2014 11:54 AM in response to Vidhi4

1 - yes. Backup or copy the entire iPhoto library package. That will include any edits you have made, keywords assigned, etc.

2 - Normally, having multiple libraries is somewhat of a hinderance to effectively managing your photos. The only time I deviate from that is when I created books. I always have a separate library for each book I create and order. I also have a separate library for calendars. This keeps those libraries small so they can be archived easily and intact for use later on if needed.

3 -

-it showed me "no space in iPhoto library"

Are sure that wasn't a message about insufficient space on the hard drive. How much free space do you have on your boot drive?

That can be an indication of a damaged library.

Also now I am not sure if all the pictures of folder are already being imported to iPhoto.

Make sure the iPhoto preferences are set as I showed in the screenshot above. Once you've done that if you drag a folder of photos into iPhoto's open window and they have been imported previously you will get a message like this:

User uploaded file

This way you'll know if the photos have been imported previously or not.

Try importing a folder and if you get the no space warning take a screenshot of it and post back with it.

Jul 14, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Vidhi4

Once all the pictures are in iPhoto library and I delete these from my Pictures folder in Mac, Is there a way to archive or backup iPhoto pictures?

Of course. Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

If you want to just back up the pics: File -> Export... This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

2. Is there any use of having multiple iPhoto libraries?

Only if you can find a reason. Bur remember that iPhoto can only open one library at a time and so multiples can be inconvenient.

Last time I imported photos from Pictures folder to iPhoto, it showed me "no space in iPhoto library". Is there any way to not experience this again?

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Jul 14, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Old Toad

1. Thanks.

2. Oh, I did not know if we can store books and calendar in iPhoto and whats the use of it?

3. Yes, that was the message about insufficient space on the hard drive. Actually it showed me damaged library and then when I re-launched iPhoto, it seems to have repaired the damaged library.

4. But recently I have updated some folder structure of my Pictures folder. If I re-import all pictures, would it be able to recognise if its duplicated?

Jul 14, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Vidhi4

2. Oh, I did not know if we can store books and calendar in iPhoto and whats the use of it?

If you decide to order another copy of the book at some time down the line all the photos are sure to be in the book library so a reorder is easily doable. Often book projects can be deleted or photos in them deleted thus rendering the book incomplete from what it was originally.

4. But recently I have updated some folder structure of my Pictures folder. If I re-import all pictures, would it be able to recognise if its duplicated?

I answered this question in my last post.

Jul 14, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Old Toad

2. It's not very clear. but its ok, it was not my original question. asked just out of curiosity.

4. Yes, you did answer. There was doubt about how a photo is actually recognised as duplicate i.e. based on the folder it belongs to and the name of photo (or) just the name or some other criteria. Anyway I am going to try this out.

Many thanks for your help!

iPhoto issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.