Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Marantz conectivity

After the recent ipod software upgrade I can not longer get audio from it thru the dedicated usb connection to my Marantz NR 1604- any ideas?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 9:17 AM

Sometimes a iOS update breaks compatibility. If that is the caase y owill have to wair for an update to the iOS or the Marants firmware:

- First I would go to Marantz's support site.

Next:

- Reset the marantz unit

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem you will have to wait for an update

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 9:17 AM in response to heyjeff5

Sometimes a iOS update breaks compatibility. If that is the caase y owill have to wair for an update to the iOS or the Marants firmware:

- First I would go to Marantz's support site.

Next:

- Reset the marantz unit

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem you will have to wait for an update

Jul 15, 2014 5:11 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks.

Marantz NR 1604, like the new 1605, has WiFi/BT. However, the Marantz must be wired to the internet or have their highly overpriced adaptor and I have neither (one could also hdmi connect to the Marantz via a desktop/laptop- I'm building a pc to do this (using tv as the monitor)). So, could not use airplay.

I think this Marantz is a best buy for quality/price. Works very well, many good features and is highly adaptable. Prior to the ipod software update the two devices worked beautifully together.

I'm new to this discussion group and while it appears that Marantz has some form of partnership with Apple I'm unsure of opening a new thread. If you think it would help address this or other issues related to Marantz/Apple I'm open to it.

Jul 15, 2014 6:02 AM in response to Loner T

I see your point, however, I see this as a joint problem with Marantz and Apple (and me as I can no longer use the iPod with the Marantz). But, it was an Apple change that created this problem and they do have some form of partnership with Marantz. With all of the interconnectivity the effects of ones actions on others must be considered. This is a problem that should be resolved by both companies.

Jul 17, 2014 4:08 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the issue info. I was ready to send your suggestion to Marantz support when I received a live person response from them. I did the reset and it worked; I agaibn have music from my iPod via the Marantz.

The Marantz solution:

If you are using the USB connection have you tried a USB flash drive with music to see if that is able to play? Have you attempted to reset the microprocessor on this unit?

1 Turn off the power using the Power button on the front of the receiver.

2 Press the Power button while simultaneously pressing M-DAX and ZONE2 SOURCE.

3 Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.

If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.

Apr 17, 2015 10:12 AM in response to heyjeff5

I have a Marantz NR1605. When I first got the unit several months ago, it paired via bluetooth with my iPhone 6 no problem and I happily streamed several audio sources to the reciever. I did not know at the time what Airplay was, or that the receiver had that capability, and therefore did not use it. At some point, while trying to connect some app's audio output to the receiver, I selected airplay and it magically began to play.

Now ... I can't remember if this exactly coincided with that first use of Airplay, but at some point my iPhone's bluetooth pairing with the receiver became inoperable. I tried re-pairing, I tried pairing other iPhones and iPads in the house with the receiver, but they won't pair via bluetooth. I called Marantz customer support and they had me do a complete hard reset of the unit back to factory specs. This was super annoying as I had to go through the whole speaker tuning and reconfiguring all inputs and settings so that my equipment would work again as I had become accustomed. Side note: this process did give me a keen understanding of the receiver and it's functions (the first time a professional A/V company did all of this for me).

So ... after this hard reset (at the suggestion of Marantz customer support), I still can use Airplay but no bluetooth connectivity. Any thoughts? I called Marantz again and they suggest exchanging the unit. ??? Would bluetooth just stop working? I have a hard time believing this is a hardware issue requiring a replacement unit. Everything else works as advertised on the receiver and I think it is a good piece of equipment. I can use Airplay, but because of some of the intricacies of multiple audio zones and how I can switch sources in those zones, it is sometimes more convenient to use Bluetooth for streaming than to use Airplay. Also, airplay is totally dependent on iPhone being connected to Wifi where sometimes I would prefer to use cellular data. Bluetooth is the only solution to stream when the device is not connected to home Wifi network.

Anyone with thoughts? I would appreciate hearing them ... Thanks! -Pete

Apr 17, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Peter510

There are quite a few issues with BT/WiFi. Most of these units (Denon - Marantz's parent or D&M Holdings) use the same components in the Denon and Marantz brands and share them across product lines. WiFi will not connect if you use a dual-band Access Point. This may have been fixed if the AVRs now have dual-band radios as well. I have seen BT dropouts when WiFi changes and vice-a-versa. AirPlay sits on top of WiFi (not BT). If you have WiFi issues, you will have AirPlay issues. The underlying BonJour discovery and now peering of WiFi is still in its infancy and is painful. I have seen several reports of BT Radio failures on early production units, which were sent back to the factory to get new cards.

The Denon I had also ran a WebServer which I could use for configuration. I did not open the cover, but my suspicion is that either Broadcom or Atheros combined radios are OEMed and branded to Denon MAC addresses.

If the AVR reset did not work, you may want to ask Marantz to replace the BT/WiFi module.

Apr 17, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, I may have to get the unit replaced, but I was hoping not to have to do that. Bluetooth has been around for so long and I don't know of bluetooth hardware failing EVER and I've been using bluetooth in various capacities for a LONG time. Just seems weird that the bluetooth hardware would be at fault. But maybe ... I thought Marantz was a premium brand (as touted to me by the custom A/V company I used)?

Anyways, thanks for your comments. I knew that Airplay needed Wifi. Are you saying that the Wifi and bluetooth are one unit in terms of hardware? If so, I didn't know that. My wifi works fine.

Dec 19, 2015 2:04 PM in response to heyjeff5

Hi,

I've become an owner of Marantz MCR-511, mainly to stream music via AirPlay. However, Apple Music app works really bad with combination with it. When I listen one track for ~1 min then music stops playing, app shows progress but I can't hear anything. Also next/prev buttons don't work (it switches to another track but music doesn't play). I tried Spotify app and it works like a charm, without any issue. Have to mention that Apple Music app crashed 2 times when I was trying to play music via AirPlay.

Have you experienced similar problem?

Dec 25, 2016 1:35 PM in response to Peter510

I also have a Marantz, mine is an NR1506. Wife and I have iPhone 5C's. I was able to pair my iPhone with the NR1506 just fine and happily listened to music, but my wife could never make Bluetooth work on her phone, and it would never pair with the Marantz. 😠 Most of the year goes by, and she's complaining she cannot listen to her Christmas music on her phone through the Marantz today...on Christmas. 😢 I tried multiple times with no success. I turned Bluetooth off on my iPhone, thinking maybe the Marantz was pairing with my iPhone instead of my wife's. Nothing worked. OK, time to research this, and the closest I can come to my issue is Peter510's post. Plus I read the Marantz manual, plus I search all over....and FINALLY! 😀 I figure out what was wrong:

First, I had no clue that the Marantz, when Bluetooth is activated and when it is trying to pair with whatever device, will send an information screen to your TV. 😮 I didn't even have the freaking TV on!! So I turn the Marantz off and on, with Bluetooth selected. Bluetooth is turned on, on my wife's iPhone. Wife's iPhone, once again, doesn't see or list the NR1506 on its screen. Doesn't know it's there, even when I place the freaking thing on top of the Marantz. So then I look at the stupid information screen on the TV that I had just discovered exists, and read the screen. It says "searching for last connected Bluetooth device.." or some such idiot thing. Searching for LAST connected device?!! 😮 I didn't tell you to do that! So all this time, when I was trying to connect a NEW device, my wife's iPhone, it kept searching in vain for MY iPhone! Even though the Marantz's screen (not the TV) said "Pairing..." it was NOT actually trying to pair with any NEW devices - it was just trying to pair with and find the OLD device! How stupid of Marantz to write their software that way. 😠

So I was able to hit "cancel" on that ridiculous "searching for last connected Bluetooth device" using the Marantz remote, and immediately it actually started to look for NEW devices, which is what I WANTED and THOUGHT I had told the stupid thing to do by hitting the freaking Bluetooth button on the Marantz, and lo and behold, it immediately saw my wife's iPhone and my wife's iPhone immediately listed the Marantz NR1506 as a device to connect to. Then I screwed this up, as the Marantz asked me if the code AFB673 (or whatever) for my wife's iPhone was correct, and if so, to hit "Enter" on the Marantz remote. 😕 I dumbly delayed as I wondered what the crap is code AFB673 and where do I find THAT and is it on my wife's iPhone and where do I find it if it is... So then the Marantz says "fu%k you", you took too long to hit "Enter" you idiot, so pairing failed. So then I repeat the exact same process, and when it comes up with a DIFFERENT code, maybe TG7F54 (or whatever), I IMMEDIATELY hit "Enter," despite not knowing if by validating that code I was actually commencing a nuclear attack on Idaho, and it WORKED!! Yayyy!!! 😁 Geez.

Hope this post helps someone else deal with Marantz' idiot software.

Marantz conectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.