Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting i Messages to free up space

iPhone 5

IOS 7.1.2

Decided I needed some space on my iPhone - so I started deleting threads of iMessages from some of my contacts (clicked on message - clicked more... and then delete all)

I did this probably 14 days ago and those contacts are still appearing on my front iMessage screen, date stamped up-to-the-minute (as if I had just done it) and its bumping all the recent messages that I have sent/received further down the screen.

Is the action that I asked the phone to perform still processing? Will it eventually stop?

Or is there a bigger problem with my iPhone?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:16 AM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 8:50 AM in response to obrien1971

Do you mean you are trying to free up space on your iCloud and not your iPhone? iMessages are stored/synced to your iCloud account, so deleting it from your iPhone doesn't necessarily mean it will be removed and free up space on your iPhone. The "deleted" messages may reappear if the delete order from your iPhone wasn't properly sent to iCloud.

You might have connection issues between your iPhone and iCloud. You might want to try and restarting your iPhone and then try deleting the iMessages.

Deleting i Messages to free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.