Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I download 10.6.7 to a PC and burn to a disk to use on my Mac?

I have a Mac Pro that was running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. It won't reboot, although I've tried many things, including Disk Warrior, so I purchased a new HD. The new HD requires 10.6.7, but since the Mac won't reboot, I can't just download an upgrade. I've found a free download of the complete 10.6.7, but have access only to a PC (at work), so was hoping I could download it to the PC, then burn it to a blank DVD to install on my Mac with its new HD. Can this work?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 9:01 AM

7 replies

Jul 14, 2014 9:09 AM in response to blueotter

The requirement for 10.6.7 is probably more due to ExFAT compatibility than anything else. 10.6.4 is the first operating system to support ExFAT. If creating a hard drive for booting Mac OS X, you'll want to format it HFS+ GUID, and not ExFAT, so if the default format of the drive is ExFAT, you'll only be able to read it after you reformat it in a proper format. See my user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3003

Jul 14, 2014 12:14 PM in response to a brody

Above, I meant to reply to SteveJobsFan0123

I looked at your user tip, but frankly, it's all Greek to me. I am a (former) graphic designer, and so am not tech-savvy enough to understand what it means. I've tried to email Apple Support, but the "Continue" button on the site doesn't work, so my email message won't go through. I have yet to try calling them, but I no longer have coverage on my Mac, so assume I would get charged a lot to talk to someone by phone.

Can I download 10.6.7 to a PC and burn to a disk to use on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.