Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicken 2007 date format problem in Mavericks

Objective: Get date format in dd/mm/yyyy format in Quicken 2007 (Lion compatible version).

Current OS: Mavericks 10.9.4

Hardware: Retina MacBook Pro & iMac 27" 3.2Ghz

Problem:

1. On my rMBP with Mavericks 10.9.4, I’m able to get Quicken 2007 data in dd/mm/yyyy format, as desired.
  2. On my new iMac (late 2013) with 10.9.4, Quicken recognises the System date formats dd/mm/yyyy (setting up a new register shows System date format) but the registers and data are all in m/d/yy.
  3. Quicken prefs are set to Canadian, so date formats should automatically be in dd/mm/yyyy, but aren't.
  4. The Quicken data file is identical on both Macs. The original file goes back to 1991, and has been through all Mac OS iterations since then.

Pre-Lion, I remember that the workaround was to set the Language & Region to something (English / US, don’t remember which) and then change date formats. Anyway, the dd/mm/yyyy stuck, through Lion and Mavericks on my rMBP, but is causing a problem in the iMac.

My guess is that Quicken is unable to / blocked out from accessing System date formats in Mavericks 10.9.4.

Wondering if there’s some way to make Quicken access the Mavericks System date format, and stick to it?

Possible approach: If some expert in these forums knows how Mavericks works under the hood, how it allows other apps access to System Prefs like date formats etc., perhaps a script or Terminal command could force Quicken 2007 to recognise and accept date formats from System Prefs (Language & Regional settings).

I'd really appreciate the help; needless to say, the Quicken data is vital to my work.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 10:27 AM

25 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Dipe Chatterjee

My problem was resolved by Quicken.

I wrote to senior management at Intuit, detailing my problem. Got a response in 10 minutes.

Two days later, a personal, custom build was created for me and uploaded. Code had been re-written and APIs updated to resolve the problem in its entirety.

Now, dates appear in dd/mm/yyyy format without any issues in OS X Yosemite.

Apart from being stunned at the speed of response, I still can't believe that a custom build was created for me!

Have been trying to persuade Intuit to release the GM for everyone else; they haven't said yes, but they haven't said no either. Still trying!

User uploaded file

Aug 31, 2015 9:26 PM in response to Garry Brooke

🙂 Yes, isn't it?

Good news and great news, right?

I've been trying to persuade them to release the new build since the time I got mine. Complicating matters is the fact that Quicken is being divested, and fixes for a retired program like Quicken 2007 have been off the table for a long time.

But, I shall persist.

The huge relief is that Quicken 2007 will continue to work in Yosemite today, and El Captain tomorrow. Years of Quicken user data won't have to be dumped.

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Dipe Chatterjee

Hi,

I'm VERY interested in getting my hands on this solution. I have used Quicken 2007 for several years now and on my new mac, running Yosemite, the dates are fixed to mm/dd/yyyy which is annoying, to say the least.

Dipe, could you ask your contact if this fix will be released formally. I appreciate you said they weren't committing themselves but it'd be nice to know one way or the other, perhaps point them to this discussion so they can see for themselves that the solution is wanted by more than just yourself.

Many thanks in sharing your findings so far.

Sep 1, 2015 4:37 PM in response to AddisN

AddisN,

For a temporary fix, go to here: https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/1197143-two-macs-both-os-x-10-10-4-running-quic ken-2007-dates-on-one-dd-mm-yy-but-on-the-other-mm-dd-yy-why

Post there is back here if I have not listed your country. Alternatively, you can experiment yourself to work out what the N code is for your language-country.

Please note the caveats that the fix might be undone by a later release of OS X and that it might cause problems with other applications. I can, however, advise that I've had this fix on my iMac since OS X 10.8 with no trouble.

Cheers.

Sep 1, 2015 10:29 PM in response to AddisN

A little more patience, friend...

Expect good news 🙂

Both Apple and Intuit are aware of this discussion thread.

I know the frustration caused by this problem; even this thread was started more than a year ago.

Intuit has been exceptionally receptive and helpful, right from Intuit CEO Brad Smith to Head of Quicken Mac, to the wonderful person who heads Quicken development. They interrupted their current projects and made time to solve my problem comprehensibly, at code level, for a retired, antiquated version.

Rest assured that I've been at it daily, trying to persuade a general release. But statutory internal processes take time.

Persistence pays!

Cheers.

Sep 3, 2015 6:57 PM in response to AddisN

AddisN, as mentioned, I have had those settings in my plist file for years and didn't know it. So, I doubt they will cause problems. Nonetheless, I think it's safer to reverse the manual changes we've made.

Dipe, well done indeed.

It's a bizarre circumstance that Intuit have fixed something reasonably promptly when they are hoping to sell-off Quicken. In the past, some bugs have stayed in place through many versions and user complaints. It makes me a bit sad that Intuit want to sell Quicken - after the years of maltreatment of Apple Mac customers, especially those outside the US, they've become good guys !

Cheers

Garry

Sep 3, 2015 10:26 PM in response to AddisN

Thank you guys! 🙂

Getting my problem individually fixed by Intuit was one level of high. Then succeeding in persuading a general release (with all attendant protocols)… that makes me really happy.

The credit line in the release notes is just cherry on the cake. Very kind of Intuit and the Quicken team.

All’s well that ends well. For everyone.

Dipe

PS: Expect more... but expect different!

Sep 4, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Dipe Chatterjee

I hadn't realised that Intuit were selling off Quicken. I do hope whoever buys it will progress it and not shelve it.

I am a UK user, I have been since Quicken 2008 for Windows, since moving to OS X I had to get a relative in the US to purchase Quicken 2007 for me.

I have tried different accounts packages but have never found one quite as good as Quicken. The forecast is one of the most useful features, which is why I've stuck with 2007 rather than going to essentials.

Keep your fingers crossed for the future.

Sep 4, 2015 10:10 PM in response to AddisN

The Quicken dev guys are hard at work, even while the brand looks for a new home.

Here's what I'd like to do, with the help and advice of Quicken users around the world: Create a Quicken Wishlist.

So, should I start a New Topic in Apple Discussions? Or in Quicken Forums? I don't have time for creating and maintaining a website.

Would welcome your inputs AddisN and Gary, and everyone else who's accessed this discussion.

Technologies are changing so rapidly, its possible that even older versions of OS X will break down soon. As will Quicken. Dev teams are aware of this scenario, and are working to evolve current products. There could be no better time to suggest features, refinements and improvements.

Quicken 2007 date format problem in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.