Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive

My imac is not recgonising my external drive in finder, i.e. giving me access to my files (it is recognising the external drive in disk utilities). This hard drive was formatted for this mac and has previously had no problem recognising the drive before. Any suggestions on how can I access my files this hard drive?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 10:16 AM

4 replies

Jul 14, 2014 11:14 AM in response to AshVeron

There is a number of things you can do, first open Disk Utility and see if the EHD is seen there. If it is then see if it is mounted, if not re-mount it.

If DU does not see it then reset the iMac SMC and PRAM reset, do the SMC reset 2-3 times because sometimes it does not always "take" the first time.

If none of this helps then change the cable and re-try and if that does not help then please post back.

Jul 15, 2014 7:17 AM in response to AshVeron

If the SMC reset does not help, read on:

Is the drive a "bus-powered" drive?

That means it has no separate power supply and has to get all its power from the computer's USB port. Electric motors like the one that spins the hard drive platter have a tendency to demand more power as they age; a drive that worked fine for several ytears can suddenly not mount. It can get power to turn the drive or operate its data interchange hardware, but sometimes not both.

If you have a bus-powered drive, there are a coupl of inexpensive steps that may restorre its function:

1) get a USB "Y" cable. Its "computer end" plugs into two USB ports to provide more power. Cheap and ofter wotks. Here is a link

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/USB2AYMBPB/

2) Use a Powered USB hub between the computer and the drive. A powered hub has an independent power suplly and make up for wha tthe computer cnnot provide. Link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Syba/CLHUB20127/

External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.