Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail in iCloud inbox disappeared

This past Saturday, July the 12th, I opened the Mail application in my Mac to find an empty iCloud inbox, the same thing going through my iPhone and the iCloud site. A test email sent with another account was received but the previous hundred or so emails I had simply disappeared.

Has anyone had the same issue? How could someone proceed towards an apparent technical problem which could affect greatly?

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:46 PM

Yes, I'm seeing other reports of users losing emails. Dan Frakes that writes for Macworld had been reporting this problem for his smart folders on twitter.

Do you have Time Machine backup?

If you look in your Mail folder in the User's Library, do you see the Inbox? Drill down in the folder to see if you can see the missing emails.

Go to the User's Library folder. This folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Go to Mail folder > V2 > AosIMAP-YOURNAME >INBOX.mbox

Inside the INBOX.mbox, you'll see a folder with a long name. Drill down in this folder to see if there are any messages.

User uploaded file

As a safeguard, you might want to consider forwarding your messages to another account. If you don't have another account get a free Gmail or Outlook.com account.

Forward all messages automatically

• In iCloud Mail, choose Preferences from the Action pop-up menu in the sidebar.
  • In the General pane, select “Forward my email to,” then type the forwarding address in the text field.
  • If you don’t want to store a copy of each forwarded message in iCloud, select “Delete messages after forwarding.” 
Keep in mind that storing copies of forwarded messages decreases your available iCloud storage space.
  • Click Done.

You need to report it to Apple Feedback so it can be logged and put in the queue to be fixed.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 8:46 PM in response to Chepe

Yes, I'm seeing other reports of users losing emails. Dan Frakes that writes for Macworld had been reporting this problem for his smart folders on twitter.

Do you have Time Machine backup?

If you look in your Mail folder in the User's Library, do you see the Inbox? Drill down in the folder to see if you can see the missing emails.

Go to the User's Library folder. This folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Go to Mail folder > V2 > AosIMAP-YOURNAME >INBOX.mbox

Inside the INBOX.mbox, you'll see a folder with a long name. Drill down in this folder to see if there are any messages.

User uploaded file

As a safeguard, you might want to consider forwarding your messages to another account. If you don't have another account get a free Gmail or Outlook.com account.

Forward all messages automatically

• In iCloud Mail, choose Preferences from the Action pop-up menu in the sidebar.
  • In the General pane, select “Forward my email to,” then type the forwarding address in the text field.
  • If you don’t want to store a copy of each forwarded message in iCloud, select “Delete messages after forwarding.” 
Keep in mind that storing copies of forwarded messages decreases your available iCloud storage space.
  • Click Done.

You need to report it to Apple Feedback so it can be logged and put in the queue to be fixed.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Mail in iCloud inbox disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.