Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari problems

Hello,

I have been having a few problems with Safari for a year maybe. I cannot play simple audio files on a website (recorded radio show), but I can with Google Chrome. It is neither possible to search similar questions in Apple Support Communities, nor posting a question about the problem (again I am using Google Chrome to do so). Moreover, on one website the two slots for username and password are not visible, so again I have to use Google Chrome. I love Safari and got used to using it. I do not want to use another web browser.

I hope someone can help me solve all these problems.

Thank you!

Mariyan

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 2:06 PM

6 replies

Jul 14, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Mihalev

I cannot play simple audio files on a website (recorded radio show), but I can with Google Chrome

The website may require Flash which is why you can play audio files in Chrome. Flash is integrated in Chrome but not Safari.

You may need to update Flash for Safari.

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Advanced tab.

Click: Check Now

As for user name and password issues on Safari ...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If nothing above helped, troubleshoot Safari extensions.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

Jul 14, 2014 2:57 PM in response to Mihalev

The Safari problem for me is: I follow the steps:

“Safari” > “Preferences” > Bookmarks > Select a “website” > “Show passwords for selected websites”

Then a box pops up which says:“Safari is trying to show passwords. Type your password to allow this.”

I type in the admin password I have had for over a year and receive a negative nod with the hint of the first two letters of the password I just typed in.

How do I get around this?

Jul 15, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Am at Snow Leopard so 5.1.10 on Safari

Don't want to play the videos so am not at current version of Flash player - and legit web sites will let me know that by putting up a message - but allow static parts of screen to come up.

There are some bogus sites out there pointing to bogus versions of Flash player for update - and Mihalev time frame matches when a bogus page -stolen from a legit company change in URL said I had to have flash player to get into the site - it also matches some problems Adobe had.

Jul 31, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you, Carolyn Samit. I solved my audio problems with Safari. I did check the Flash Player settings as you suggested and found out that PPAPI Plug-in version was not installed. I tried to update the Flash Player version but did not succeed in solving the problem. Then, I found the following website: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html. From the website I downloaded Flash Player 14 Beta Content Debuggers for Mac and installed. This solved my problem. Thank you for your help again!

As for the user name and password problem, it still persists. I am trying to open this website: https://www.colleges-residences.lancs.ac.uk/apply/default.aspx. The slots for username and password, however, do not appear immediately, and there is the indication that the page is fully loaded. I have to wait a few minutes before I see them, whereas both slots appear immediately when I use Google Chrome. Does this explain better my problem, and do you have any other recommendations?

Safari problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.