Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Metropolitan Police Ransomware

My safari browser has been afflicted with Metropolitan Police Ransomware and I cannot close the window without force quitting Safari.

There are lots of tutorials on how to remove this virus on a PC running windows but I could find nothing on how to get rid of this virus on a MAC.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 5:01 AM

Force Quit .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time. Wait.

When Force Quit window appears, select the Safari if not already.

Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window. Wait.

Safari will quit.

Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

14 replies

Jul 15, 2014 10:01 AM in response to auschmidt

It's not a virus. It's a JavaScript scam that only affects your web browser, and only temporarily.

Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Jun 21, 2015 2:27 PM in response to auschmidt

My new iMac has been infected with the same ransomeware from the Swiss police. I tried all the solutions here on Safari but fail to get to the Preferences button before the malware pops up again. So it goes round in a loop: force quit, press space bar and Safari icon, Safari preferences is greyed out or non-responding. What to do? I can't find a Library folder in Finder. Is there any way I can restore Safari without having to open it? Help much appreciated.

Oct 28, 2015 3:32 PM in response to auschmidt

For anybody that has this issue with their iPhone or iPad I suggest taking the following steps, as it took me about 30 seconds to solve this:

1. Do your usual checks, like power off/on, and if you can update, do it via your iPhone or iPad (don't connect to iTunes on your Mac or PC as you'll hit a wall).

2. Take the following command path from the home screen: Settings > Safari

3. From here do as prescribed below:

- Enable Do Not Track

- Clear History and Website Data (This is a blue text that appears separately in this menu)

- Limit cookies for the time being by blocking them all.

4. Enter Advanced settings located as the last item on the Safari menu

5. disable JavaScript temporarily by switching it off as this is a Java-based hijack.

6.Enable Web Inspector (not necessary, but good practice)

From here you should probably close your safari window (Double click the home button and swipe up when you see the safari app)

I found this was fine and then I went and re-enabled JavaScript and Cookies and it completely eradicated the problem.

**DISCLAIMER**

I am currently running the latest iOS at the time of writing (28th October 2015) and I only completed the above steps after having completed said update.

If there are issues beyond this the likelihood is that it's not anything as easy to bypass as a Java Plug.

Removing Metropolitan Police Ransomware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.