Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetFlix not showing search results on Apple TV

Hi All: I cannot get search results (for anything searched including previously viewed shows) for the NetFlix App on my AppleTV. Used to be, as you typed search criteria in via the keyboard, results would show on the right side of the panel....not at all anymore. Here is what I have done so far (not necessarily in this order).

1. Researched Apple Support and NetFlix Support (both) and followed all recommendations there, which included many of the below actions.
  2. Have restarted the AppleTV (several times).
  3. Have done a full power down/power up of Apple TV (several times).
  4. Have made sure that both the IP configuration and DNS are automatically set.
  5. Have made sure the Apple TV store location is correct.
  6. Have signed out of NetFlix.
  7. Have also gone into NetFlix via website, logged into my account and told NetFlix to sign out all devices.
  8. Have verified no issue/incorrect settings in my NetFlix account (via website).
  9. Updated AppleTV software (newest rev came out today).

What next?

I can use the search function for YouTube and iTunes Store....receive results.

NOTE: Another issue I have noticed in the NetFlix App. which I think is related. If I pull up a movie and go to the "MORE" screen, no results show up if I highlight any of the actors/directors. Used to be, I could highlight an actor name and all the movies that they were a part of, in the NetFlix library, would show up. Now, the screen just stays blank.

The AppleTV is 3rd Generation and Software Level was just updated to 6.2

Thanks

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 1:55 PM

28 replies

Jul 15, 2014 3:09 PM in response to Carol Fekaris

Hi Carol, I am having this same problem. I have two Apple TV 3's, and it's only happening on one of them. I am also at 6.2. I have tried most of the things you have suggested and even changed my DNS and restarted my router. I have three profiles. None worked. Also, tried forgetting my Bluetooth keyboard and changing Time Zones. Tried wireless and wired. About the only thing left is resetting completely. I can wait a bit before doing that. My wish list is pretty long already and I can find stuff in recommendations. More screen does not work either. The rest of my Apple TV is fine. It's something with Netflicks.

Jul 22, 2014 1:55 PM in response to bonkaboo

I was able to fix the problem by telling my Apple TV to switch to Australia as a location. I checked the Main screen and it was very different so I know it registered. Then changed back to USA. After than Netflix Search worked. So...."jiggling" your location might work for you. Worked for me. In this case it could be called "jet setting."

Jul 23, 2014 6:14 AM in response to teamspike

Thanks TeamSpike: That was the fix. I had, earlier, gone to the location settings and simply chosen USA (which it was already set to). Clearly, you have to select another country choice first, then back to USA. As you noted, in the process it changes some of the available plug-in choices (if you choose Australia, it removes NetFlix as an option). Then, when you select USA, the plug-ins are added back to the menu. Somehow this fixes the issue. (But it doesn't actually do a full reset of the plug-in....because all my history and settings where there when it returned.)

Thanks a lot....both the search function and the use of the "More" function have been restored.

Sep 6, 2014 6:25 PM in response to yoel69

I was having the same problem and tried teamspike's quick fix numerous times, but found out that I was trying to change my Apple TV's Settings/General/Time Zone and location there.Well that was my problem all along and I'm guessing this is the same problem you guys were having and why it didn't work? If it is, then hopefully this works for you as well. So I tried teamspike's quick fix again, but this time I opened my Apple TV's Settings/iTune Store/Location and it worked. 😁

Oct 18, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Carol Fekaris

I am having this same issue! Urrrr... I changed the location in settings/itunes to Australia. Restarted itunes and Netflix wasn't listed. Went into settings/itunes and changed the preferences back to the US, rebooted he AppleTV, Netflix appeared and still nothing comes up in the search. This worked in the past. Not sure what to do about it and i'm not in the mood to deal with Apple right now. I tried changing it to Canada. Netflix was still there. Even logged out of my Netflix around, restarted the AppleTV and logged back in. Thoughts anyone? Thanks so much!

NetFlix not showing search results on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.