Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move files from MacBook Pro to Seagate drive although it worked before and used ONLY with Mac

I bought a Seagate drive last year and successfully moved files from my MacBook Pro to it. I want to move more files to the Seagate from the same MacBook Pro, but now there's a circle with a line through it and the files won't move into the Seagate folder.

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 5:00 PM

7 replies

Jul 17, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Csound1

Oh, dear! I am still a neophyte on the Mac. However I got files to copy to the Seagate drive previously, it won't happen now. I have two questions at this point: (1) Do I have to reformat the disk and recopy my Mac contents to the Seagate as "Mac only"? (2) If so, how do I do that? I guess it won't matter if I wipe the Seagate disk out, my computer is still working (although the screen went dark on me a couple days ago, at which point I did a hard turn-off and started back up being then able to view the screen, which started this big need for backing up).

Jul 17, 2014 7:15 AM in response to Ky C.

I checked the "get info" screen and saw it is in NTFS format. I thought I had formatted the disk for Mac. I wonder how I got the files copied previously; however, they do appear to be in "read only" format when I open from the disk. I am able to copy files back and they are normal, not read only - BUT I can't copy the file back into the disk. Do I have to wipe the disk and start over by clicking on Mac.Installer.dmg?

Jul 17, 2014 1:41 PM in response to imabookworm

Reformatting a HDD will DELETE all user data on the HDD. If that is not an issue for you, open Disk Utility>Erase and format the external HDD to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

If you wish to retain the data on the external HDD, you then could use third party software such as Paragon or Tuxera. Both will allow you to read and write to a NTFS formatted HDD. Both also have mixed reviews from users.

Ciao.

Can't move files from MacBook Pro to Seagate drive although it worked before and used ONLY with Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.