Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my yahoo account has been hacked How do I fix it

I own a mac, a mac laptop, ipad and iphone. My yahoo account has been hacked. How do I protect my friend that are contacts? Do I shut down the entire email account?

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 7:57 PM

Ask Yahoo.

Barry

9 replies

Jul 15, 2014 9:21 PM in response to dianefromaptos

You will most likely wind up receiving a lot of spam emails as well as your email address being used to send out spam. Mine has been hacked into several times - Yahoo's accounts are not exactly safe. In may case, the spam is slowly diminishing again; if it happens again, I may close the account and start another. Changing the password is good, but the door was already opened so to speak, so you're doing it really 'after the fact'.

If you do open another account there, be sure to go to your Account Preferences immediately after establishing the account and opting out of the full page of advertising spam which is enabled by default or Yahoo will share/sell your address within a few mintues.

Jul 16, 2014 5:45 AM in response to babowa

babowa

with due respect, I don't think we have determined IF she has actually been hacked. When hacked, the malware doesn't exactly announce the fact. It could still be that the Yahoo message is what alarmed diana....... I believe I recall an incident of intrusion of Yahoo some time back - you only get the security warning when you use YahooWebMail, no email to yMail account from Yahoo. It could still be that she has been hacked, but if her account has been compromised it is much more likely that it resulted from the earlier Yahoo intrusion. No amount of password changing is gonna keep phishing emails from showing "Apparently from: diana............@yahoo.com" - they've got her apparent identity and her friends will still think hackerMail is from her. Or you for that matter. BTW, last nite, I had 253 emails in the YahooMail SPAM folder! I LIKE that feature by Yahoo, I never see 'em in my desktop mail client.

CCC

Jul 16, 2014 11:03 AM in response to babowa

In a practical sense, change you password. Make it a real password. It doesn't hurt to change the password. Most recommend changing it regularly. Wait until you start getting spam to take further action.

I haven't had too much problems with spam on my main Yahoo id. I give it out only to friends and family. I have a second yahoo id for those firms that require you to give an id to access their web site. I almost never logon to this id. It's filled with spam. I set up several gmail accounts with mail forwarding to my main id. I use a gmail id when setting up an account that required a confirmation via email. I get the confirmation forwarded to my main id. This way I can acknowledge the confirmation without having to logon to another account. Should I start getting spam, I plan on stopping the gmail forwarding. With the newer gmail id, I use my spam yahoo id for questionable sites.

Robert

Jul 16, 2014 11:41 AM in response to rccharles

Yes, I change my passwords and they're not that easy to guess. I also do not have any of my web based email accounts associated with or forwarded to my "real" (from my ISP) email address as I don't want that one maintained in any web data base. My Yahoo account is my "junk" address; I don't go near Gmail because they read/scan every email.

Additional note for the other poster:

"hacked" does not necessarily imply that malware has been installed. Hacked can simply mean they hacked into the account to steal email addresses or other private info.

my yahoo account has been hacked How do I fix it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.