Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting "Error 1046" messages when using Mail.app to send Gmail

The specific error is: MCMailErrorDomain error 1046

I'm using an early 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display, running the latest version of OS X Mavericks. Nothing I Google brings up anything related to this, so I thought I'd pick your brains :-).

Any idea how to fix it? I've already removed & added the account. I'm using Postbox for right now, but I'd rather use Mail.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 7:06 AM

12 replies

Jul 27, 2014 8:33 AM in response to rnoboa

I was facing the same problem. However, I have successfully resolved it. I am not sure if it works for you.

Little Background: I am using Gmail Commercial account with 2 Step Authentication.

When I checked SMTP setting I noticed that my username was given without domain name postfixed. I updated the same and now I am able to send emails without any problem.

Here is the exact location where I made the change:

Mail->Preference->Accounts->(Select Account)->Outgoing Mail Server (Drop Down)->Edit SMTP Server List->(Select Account)->Advanced->UPDATE USERNAME

Please let me know if it works for you as well.

Thanks,

HS

I keep getting "Error 1046" messages when using Mail.app to send Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.