Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since upgrading to 10.9.4 dvds will not load

After upgrading to OS X 10.9.4 onto my 2011 iMac, I tried to load a DVD. It whirled around and then got stuck. It took me about 3 hrs to finally get it unstuck. Now it will not accept DVD's at all, just whirls them around and pops them out. CD's it will take. I then upgraded the software for 10.9.4 and tried again. nothing. I want to install Photoshop and can't get the install disc to run. I'd appreciate some ideas. Nanci

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 1:54 PM

12 replies

Jul 18, 2014 9:46 AM in response to denisfromquebec

I insert a DVD+RW with a film on it. DVD player open and I can see the film

I change in the preferences system/CD&DVD the settings for "When I insert a DVD", from open in Finder to ASK

I insert a blank DVD-R, The Finder ask me what I want - I answer Open in Finder.

I saw the DVD in the Desktop, copy a folder of .jpg

Hit Burn, and receive this

User uploaded file

Jul 19, 2014 12:24 PM in response to nancifromlincoln

Nanci, I think my daughter had the same problem a while back. Since she uses the optical drive (DVD) so rarely we would not have correlated it to an OS upgrade. I think we took the iMac into an apple store and they replaced it for a fee or coarse. Since poster: Macnicol says he has a USB drive that works it may be worth trying an external if you can. If that works then I would conclude the OS upgrade as an issue with the older internal optical in your iMac.

Jan 11, 2016 5:58 PM in response to nancifromlincoln

Same problem... except mine will not load/play the DVDs OR CDs. I use a group of rotating commercial DVDs/CDs regularly. The same ones I used the morning I did the update will now now work, after the update. Tech Support is useless, and the folks inside the store act like they've never heard of this problem. The operative word is "act"... Either they are hopelessly uninformed, or they are lying... this problem is all over the Internet... but not ONE solution.

I am convinced they are trying to force us into "iPad mindset"... no discs or thumb drives allowed!

I will never buy another Apple product, nor will I recommend them.

since upgrading to 10.9.4 dvds will not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.