Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime pro won't copy paste

Viewing MP4 file in Quicktime Pro, mark in and out, copy, open new player and paste... it doesn't work... why????? i just bought quicktime pro to do some quick edits!! help!

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 2:01 PM

16 replies

Jul 17, 2014 5:01 PM in response to tarata

Having the same exact issue. Started noticing this a few weeks ago. I have an H.264 file. I want to split it into two clips. Mark in and mark out. Cut>New Player>Paste. Doesn't work. I been using doing it this way for years. I'm using the Late 2013 Mac Pro with 10.9, FCP 7 and QuickTime 7 Pro. All was working fine until recently.

I also noticed I can no longer import H.264 QuickTime files into Final Cut Pro 7. And I did notice there was an update to "ProApps Codec" to version 1.0.5.

Any help is appreciated.

Jul 17, 2014 5:21 PM in response to mattmacg4

matt

No, his issue is ONE of your issues! 👿

can you do what I suggested to him? SelectAll > Copy > New > Paste ?? Trim to selection ??

Your description begs the question - What has CHANGED since all was right with the world? Only you can tell us what updates, upgrades, new installs, etc.

How do these H.264 movs differ from previous working ones? Do previous movs exhibit the behavior too?

I'll bet there is something that will jump out at you.

Let us know.

CCC

Jul 17, 2014 5:42 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Trim to selection does trim to the selection of the in and out point but when you do to save as there is an error message. It says: "The movie "XXXXX" could not be saved. The movie contains an incorrect time value."

In the past month there were to updates through the App Store: ProApps Codec v 1.0.5 and Mac OS X 10.9.4.

I can't imagine the movie files are the problem. They are all standard 853x480 H.264 files. They all are exhibiting this behavior in QT 7. I can't cut, copy or paste properly. You can mark in, mark out, and copy. But when you paste in the new player it pastes whatever text you have on your clipboard.

Also, I can't import any of them into FCP 7, (not that I'd want to edit them in Final Cut). Final Cut says the file is not recognized.

Jul 17, 2014 6:15 PM in response to tarata

I'd give the other way to handle it a try: select the portion you do not want and try to delete that. Just in case something has changed in the app/OS behavior, here is a link to the latest available user guide:

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/pdf/QuickTime7_User_Guide.pdf

The pertinent info is on pages 30/31.

In trying to test this, I just realized that I lost my copy of QT Pro when I updated to Mav; will need to contact Apple - I do believe that is expected behavior (unfortunately).

Jul 17, 2014 6:25 PM in response to mattmacg4

mattmacg4 wrote:

Trim to selection does trim to the selection of the in and out point but when you do to save as there is an error message. It says: "The movie "XXXXX" could not be saved. The movie contains an incorrect time value."

In the past month there were to updates through the App Store: ProApps Codec v 1.0.5 and Mac OS X 10.9.4.

I can't imagine the movie files are the problem. They are all standard 853x480 H.264 files. They all are exhibiting this behavior in QT 7. I can't cut, copy or paste properly. You can mark in, mark out, and copy. But when you paste in the new player it pastes whatever text you have on your clipboard.

Also, I can't import any of them into FCP 7, (not that I'd want to edit them in Final Cut). Final Cut says the file is not recognized.

Before I tackle your responses, two things

1. did you try select all etc?
  2. try a SaveAs > newName.mov of a working movie

From what you say about updates, one of 'em is the culprit. If I had to bet, I would pick the one that conspicuously has CODEC in the name, since that has everything to do with QT. Only Google reference I can find is ProApps Codecs v1.0.5 which is a Knowledge Base article in RUSSIAN!! Dated June 26, 2014

Did you pay for it? I hope so, then you will have AppleCare resource to go to. Bottom line is that it is one or both. Start by contacting AppStore support and just tell 'em one of their AppUpdayes broke your QT and FCP. If these had system requirements that your stuff would not meet, the update should have told you so.

Sorry to bear bad tidings but going back is easier now with TimeMachine

CCC

Jul 17, 2014 6:44 PM in response to babowa

babowa

I had a feeling you might stumble across this thread. From your responses in other threads I deduce you are much more a VideoPro than I could ever hope to be. My experience with QT was merely a part of making Director Interactives.

Read matt's and my conversation for more insight into the issue. Seems update(s) are the likely culprit(s)

Happy Daze

CCC

Jul 17, 2014 8:28 PM in response to babowa

OK barbra, you take it from here then. I'm not following you down a rabbit trail. I know it is recommended now that I have looked into it. I have made my observations and hypothesis.

If I were ya'll, I would stick with what's changed on matt's system since it last worked right. It is ALWAYS "the change". Just cuz it works fine for you doesn't mean it is not the culprit on his box.

I'll bet the OPer is the same issue, although he or she has not weighed in since the OP.

Best o' luck.

CCC

FYI - The reason for Google is it is LIGHTNING fast. Takes less time to open a tab, type "proapps codec v1.0.5" SPACE" site:discussions.apple.com", get results, decide which ASC result (they're there as quick as 20 minutes after posting) and go there than it takes for the ASC search page to load = dog slow.

FFYYII -- look closely at the URLs of the two links - yours has "DL" the one I posted has "dl" and is definitely Russian.

Jul 17, 2014 8:29 PM in response to babowa

OK barbra, you take it from here then. I'm not following you down a rabbit trail. I know it is recommended now that I have looked into it. I have made my observations and hypothesis.

If I were ya'll, I would stick with what's changed on matt's system since it last worked right. It is ALWAYS "the change". Just cuz it works fine for you doesn't mean it is not the culprit on his box.

I'll bet the OPer is the same issue, although he or she has not weighed in since the OP.

Best o' luck.

CCC

FYI - The reason for Google is it is LIGHTNING fast. Takes less time to open a tab, type "proapps codec v1.0.5" SPACE" site:discussions.apple.com", get results, decide which ASC result (they're there as quick as 20 minutes after posting) and go there than it takes for the ASC search page to load = dog slow.

FFYYII -- look closely at the URLs of the two links - yours has "DL" the one I posted has "dl" and is definitely Russian.

Jul 18, 2014 7:32 AM in response to babowa

In trying to test this, I just realized that I lost my copy of QT Pro when I updated to Mav; will need to contact Apple - I do believe that is expected behavior (unfortunately).

QT 7 Pro still edits normally (H.264/AAC MOV test file) on my system under Mavericks. As to loss of QT 7 Pro app during upgrade, it may depend on what you were upgrading from here. (I.e., I did not lose it during any "incremental" upgrades between Snow Leopard and Mavericks.) In any event, if it has suddenly gone AWOL from the utilities folder and you still have your key, then simple download, re-install, and re-key the QT v7.6.6 installer.

User uploaded file

Jul 12, 2015 12:50 PM in response to tarata

I also found that Quicktime 7 no longer successfully can copy and paste a selection from a video.

I'm in Mountain Lion 10.8.6, and it worked until recently.

The best workaround I found is just to do a Trim to Selection, and Save As. This still works.

This will preserve the original and make an new file with your selection.

If you are nervous about the original, you can always make a duplicate before you start.

quicktime pro won't copy paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.