Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 not ringing after installing iOS 7.1.2 update

After updating the OS to 7.1.2, my phone will not ring on incoming calls--it doesn't actually RECEIVE incoming calls at all, as far as I can tell. I have tried everything suggested in the support community for similar problems, and have also contacted Apple support via chat. Here are the things I've already tried:

• Checked to be sure the mute switch is not set to mute (left side of phone above volume buttons).
  • Checked to be sure DND is not on.
  • Changed Favorites to Everyone in the DND settings.
  • Checked to be sure a ringtone is set, and tested it in Settings to be sure the phone can play it.
  • Changed the ringtone.
  • Hard reboot of the phone.
  • Reset the phone.
  • Backed the phone up and restored it in iTunes.

Nothing helps. Have spent hours on this. When someone calls the phone, the caller hears ringing but I neither see nor hear anything. It eventually goes to voicemail and I receive a voicemail notification, but I NEVER receive a missed call notification. Support says if the restore didn't work, it's not software, it's a hardware problem (and phone is out of warranty but of course not out of contract), but sounds work fine on the phone, I can made calls, I can receive and play voicemails, I can watch and hear videos, etc., etc. The only thing that doesn't work is inbound calling. How can a problem that started THE MINUTE iOS 7 was updated to 7.1.2 be a hardware problems?

I'm at my wits' end. Any ideas? Thanks in advance? MRADTEX

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 4:10 PM

8 replies

Jul 16, 2014 4:16 PM in response to mradtex

OK, after hours of troubleshooting I post this, and within seconds I discover the answer on my own. Gotta be one of Murphy's laws!

I discovered that in Settings, Notification Center, Phone, the Alert Style setting was Alerts, and the Alert sound was set to my ringtone. I believe this was the way the phone was originally set up (the default) but I'm not sure. Anyway just for grins (read: thoroughness in troubleshooting) I changed the Alert Style to None, saved it and tested by attempting to call the phone. VOILA!!!!!!! I received the call, loud and clear, no issues at all. This must be a bug in the new version of the iOS. Anyway, problem resolved and thanks to anyone who had already seen this and was trying to figure it out! MRADTEX

Jul 16, 2014 4:22 PM in response to mradtex

Well, back to the drawing board. That success seems to have been completely random. Immediately after posting the earlier response, someone tried to call me and it did not come through--I received a voicemail. So now it seems that the behavior is intermittent, which makes it even more difficult to resolve.

In addition, while I was on the phone returning the call that had gone to voicemail, I received another call on the phone and was able to place the first call on hold, switch to the new call, and switch back. So the phone IS able to receive calls, it just can't ring or display any type of notification about the calls.

Any ideas will be appreciated! MRADTEX

iphone 5 not ringing after installing iOS 7.1.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.