Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Significant battery drain after update 10.9.4

Hi, I have a retina MacBook Pro late 2013. After I update my OSX Mavericks to version 10.9.4 I noticed a significant low in battery performance: it drains much faster now (I used to stay unpluged for 10h before recharging again, but now I can only stay for something around 6h). I also noticed that it is taking long to fully recharge the battery. What happened to my computer? I already did the procedures for resetting the battery (fully charged, then let go down to almost 0%, then fully charged again) and it didnt change the situation. How can i solve this? My battery counts now 140 cycles.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 8:51 AM

19 replies

Jul 17, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Bpam

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the limit for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions, or these for OS X 10.9 or later.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Jul 22, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I'm pretty sure this happened because something is wrong with this update. Nobody likes to waste time taking their macs to an authorized service center and then wait some days to hear that "we can't find anything wrong with your hardware". Isn't there a more practical and effective way to fix this? I don't know, is it possible to "uninstall" this update? (No, I don't have a Time Machine). I have already filled a feedback report, but as expected no word from Apple.

Esquared, no, nothing weird in the Activity Monitor...

Jul 24, 2014 11:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc, below I describe what happened to each point you've put:

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the limit for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

My battery counts 147 cycles, not even close to the limit for my model (1000 cycles).

2. Follow these instructions, or these for OS X 10.9 or later.

Nothing out of ordinary here. Safari was using too much energy, but I've spent some days using Chrome and battery isn't any better.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

This option wasn't enabled in my mac, so nothing to do here.

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

I've done it, but as nothing is supposed to appear on screen and there is no sign of "Resetting SMC", I just hope it worked well, I have no way to check if al the process worked fine.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

Yes, it is up to date, since my problem is EXACTLY with the last update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

No way to make a Genius appointment, I don't live in the USA.

Aug 14, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have a similar problem after updating my Macbook Air OS X to v10.9.4.

But noticed that it's not battery problem - the OS now really uses up Power:

- the device heats up a lot - it's HOT in the top-left

- the fan runs like crazy

- I used to be able to run for 4-5h on battery, and now it's 1 hour.

This is real BAD, Apple, please FIX!

Significant battery drain after update 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.