Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer Aperature library to a new computer and upgraded Aperature?

Currently I am using Aperature version 2.1.4 on a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X version 10.6.8. I plan to purchase a new MacBook Pro and upgrade to the latest version of Aperature 3. How do I transfer my photo library to the new computer, and will there be any issues because of the new Mac operating system and new version of Aperature? I do backup up my library frequently to an external drive that serves as my aperature vault. Thanks, Dick

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 1:10 PM

Assuming you have a Managed Library:

To move an Aperture Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch Aperture. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2014 1:10 PM in response to rjf6psuedu

Assuming you have a Managed Library:

To move an Aperture Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch Aperture. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

Jul 17, 2014 2:04 PM in response to rjf6psuedu

Dick, in addition to the Terence Devlin's post, you may want to rebuild your Aperture library in Aperture 2.1.4, before transferring it to the new computer. This is recommended in the Aperture 3.5.1: Release notes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, to "A note on upgrading your library":

A note on upgrading your Aperture library

If you are upgrading your Aperture library from an earlier version of Aperture, here are some guidelines to assist you in a successful move to Aperture 3:

• Before upgrading, it is recommended (though not required) that you perform a rebuild of your Aperture library. To rebuild an Aperture library, hold down the Option and Command keys while opening your library in Aperture 1.5 or 2, then click the Rebuild Now button.
  • Aperture temporarily uses extra space on your hard drive during the upgrade process. This is for the purpose of backing up critical library info and insuring the integrity of your data during upgrade. If you don't have adequate space on your hard drive to accommodate the upgrade, Aperture will display a warning dialog. You may need to move your library to a different hard drive with more space in order to upgrade it, and then move it back to the original drive when the upgrade is complete. Any space used by Aperture during the upgrade is released and made available to you again once the upgrade has finished.
  • Keep in mind that fully upgrading a very large library is a one-time process that can take a long time; the process may take many hours or even overnight, depending on the size of the library. Once the initial database upgrade is complete, you can begin working with your Aperture library. However, post-upgrade processing will continue in the background for some time, as face detection and preview generation are performed. (A progress indicator and the word "Processing" will appear in the status line of the Viewer or Browser to indicate these operations are underway.) While you can work with Aperture while these operations are performed, you may experience temporary slow-downs. Optimal performance will return when all post-upgrade processing is complete.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 17, 2014 2:44 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the additional information, Léonie. I already know I will not have enough internal memory on my MacBook Pro to do the rebuild. Can the rebuild be done on the "vault" that I already created earlier on my external hard drive? Or are things missing in the vault, such that I will need to move my Aperature library on my computer to an external drive? I am also concerned now whether I have managed or referenced files; I do see the referenced icon in the lower right of my versions, but because I import from a card reader and then erase the photos from the memory card, I would have thought I'd see a red line now through the icon, but I don't see that. Obviously, I need to check my import settings to see if I am "referencing" or "managing" the files. Can you tell I am a rank amateur here?!

Aug 6, 2014 12:03 PM in response to rjf6psuedu

I had Aperture 2.0 factory loaded on my old Macbook 17, and I upgraded to 3.0 with a purchased disc. My old drive crashed and was unrecoverable. I have 3.0 upgrade disc, but the install manager asks for original serial number, which I no longer have. How can I install the program using the 3.0 Upgrade disc?

Thanks.

BTW: I am trying to reload in order to recover and merge my corrupted iPhoto libraries.

Aug 6, 2014 12:09 PM in response to safromgranite bay

If Aperture 3 is an upgrade, you will need both serial numbers, for Aperture 2 and Aperture 3.

If you have a "Proof of Purchase" you can ask for a replacement serial number.

See: Pro Application Replacement Serial Numbers

Had you already upgraded to Mavericks and Aperture 3.5.1? Then you can download it from the App Store. This upgrade changes the licence to an AppStore licence.

How do I transfer Aperature library to a new computer and upgraded Aperature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.