Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting rid of Previous Recipients in Mail

On my Mac Mini, running OSX 10.6.8, and Mail v.4.6, I want to get rid of many or all the email addresses in Previous Recipients, because some of them were incorrectly entered by me directly, or I had a typo or old email address in my Address Book and/or the Previous Recipients list. Some of those incorrectly addressed emails just bounced back to me, while others simply vanished into the internet abyss, never to be seen again. They may have inadvertently gone to someone they weren't meant for, and they now likely have my email address. Oh the unfortunate result of addressing errors. 😟

So, to remove the ones I knew/know are typos, or I know they were old or never to be used again addresses, I went to Mail>Window>Previous Recipients and deleted some of them. Very quickly though, I decided to stop and ask this question before deleting anymore: For the people, businesses, etc., I do email and want to keep in my Address Book, is it safe to delete them from Previous Recipients, or will doing so remove them from my Address Book too?

These are the ones with a roll-a-dex like card to the far left side of the names.

Mac Mini 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Logitech mouse, Apple wired keyboard, acer monitor

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 1:22 PM

Never mind. All is well. I tested it myself by removing a name and email address, one I knew by memory, from the list with one of the cards to the left side and discovered this did not remove it from my Address Book.

1 reply

Getting rid of Previous Recipients in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.