Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Data Recovery

Hello Apple Support Communities!

I have a Western Digital 320GB external hard drive and it currently has 0 bytes available. This has prevented me from even viewing the hard drive on my finder window. I can only see it in disk utility. I have tried repairing the disk and verifying it but neither has worked in letting me view my files. I use the hard drive for movies and now i can't see them! Can anyone recommend free data recovery software so i can delete a few files so that i can view my hard drive? Thank you!

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 2:56 PM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2017 10:21 PM in response to Xerxes_Patel

If the data on the external hard drive is not over-written, then there is probability of data recovery using the help of a data recovery software. I have found the review written of Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery software quite useful to perform the data recovery from an external Mac hard drive.

Nevertheless, I have not seen any free Mac data recovery that provides data recovery from external Mac hard drive and that is too free of cost.

Jul 17, 2014 3:05 PM in response to Xerxes_Patel

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Most likely the directory is now corrupted from putting too many files on the drive and not paying attention to free space.

Jan 7, 2015 8:18 PM in response to Xerxes_Patel

I found a way to sort of mount the drive and consequently do a data recovery.

What i did was highlight the 'iphone-dump.img' and opened it with 'Disk Utility'. Inside of 'Disk Utility', I double-clicked the 'iphone-dump.img' icon and low and behold, it split into two drives, despite it giving me an 'Unable to attach 'iphone-dump.img' (no mountable file systems)' message at the same time.

I wasn't able to do much with it in 'Disk Utility' from there on, so I opened 'Data Rescue III' and it became available to scan as a 'Virtual Interface' called 'Apple read:write'. I performed a scan and was able to locate my missing photos. It took a while because there were several duplicates of older photos. I think this is because each time I've restored the phone from a backup, data has been placed in a different location on the hard drive. Therefore, it has not overwritten these very same photos that have been on most of my backups for some time.

I wasn't able to find my missing voice memos from the 'QuickVoice' application though. They appear not to be there. I found the existing ones from the recovery. They must be somewhere surely? Maybe the photos are stored in a different way since the photo application is a default app and 'QuickVoice' is a bought app. ?

Ideas anyone

External Hard Drive Data Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.